Feinstein plans bill to ha.lt separation of families at the border

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) plans to introduce legislation to prevent the separation of immigrant children from their parents at the U.S.-Mexico border, as the Trump administration is facing deep scrutiny over its policy.

"It’s hard to conceive of a policy more horrific than intentionally separating children from their parents as a form of punishment. ... This is not what the United States of America should be," Feinstein said in a Thursday statement.

She added that she is working on legislation to "prevent the intentional separation of families. Congress has a moral obligation to take a stand here.”
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/390052-feinstein-plans-bill-to-halt-separation-of-families-at-the-border

this is a pretty big deal in California. It's become a campaign issue already. What gets me is all the reporting that the Trump administration was surprised by the push back his policy is receiving. WFT did they expect?

May 2012
By the wall
California is fucked up.

What's a big deal there the rest of the country laughs at.

Send all of them back, separated or not.

Crusher

Former Staff
Aug 2011
Heaven Above
It's a noble effort I suppose. They don't belong here in the first place. I am curious as to why she waited until now?

May 2012
By the wall
Well I would certainly be volunteering for the group that gets to punt the kids back over the wall rather than the adults.

I have a weak knee.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
It's a noble effort I suppose. They don't belong here in the first place. I am curious as to why she waited until now?
So people fleeing violence should not look to the US as a safe place to live??

And do you know the long term effects this will have on children from a traumatic/psychological point of view?

They are literally taking babies away from their parents. And now the immigration courts are at fully capacity as well.

This is just cruel and inhumane, period.

Crusher

Former Staff
Aug 2011
Heaven Above
So people fleeing violence should not look to the US as a safe place to live??

And do you know the long term effects this will have on children from a traumatic/psychological point of view?

They are literally taking babies away from their parents. And now the immigration courts are at fully capacity as well.

This is just cruel and inhumane, period.
No. They should not. People seeking asylum are supposed to stop at the first and closest country where they are safe. Having a bad national experience does not give you a get into America for Free Card.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
It's a noble effort I suppose. They don't belong here in the first place.
that's not something we can determine without a court hearing

I am curious as to why she waited until now?
Read the article provided in the OP.
The Department of Homeland Security is for the first time prosecuting people who are caught crossing the border illegally, a crime that’s been on the books since 1986.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
No. They should not. People seeking asylum are supposed to stop at the first and closest country where they are safe. Having a bad national experience does not give you a get into America for Free Card.
yeah, let's see Republican's try to run on that argument. The reason why Trump is trying to blame Democrat's is because he was too stupid to anticipate the political blow back he'd get from both Dems and Republicans.

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
I remember a time when America was proudly known as being a fine humanitarian country that even Evangelicals could feel proud of in it doing God's work to help those in need who are escaping famine and terror in their own countries as well as death. Now, America has done an about-face and takes great pleasure in thumbing its nose at those less fortunate. God cannot be pleased with those who are doing that which are the Republicans.