Female Genital Mutilation Rising in Germany Because of Mass Migration

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
It was incomplete. Not finished. They got some results and went home. Not sure why the concept of incomplete is difficult.

The preliminary results they got provided that number, never repeated, never peer reviewed, nothing.
What is your evidence suggesting that the study in Africa was incomplete?

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
I can't verify the percent and I'm not going to look it up, I accept your number. The reason physicians don't like to use an injected anesthesia like lidocaine is it swells the foreskin and obscures landmarks making cutting problematic. Topicals don't work very well. As a student nurse I saw all the barbaric circumcisions during my OB rotation that I could handle in a lifetime. Not one that I recall was done using anesthesia. That was in the 1970s.
Why do you think that topicals (especially modern ones) "don't work very well?"

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
Why do you think that topicals (especially modern ones) "don't work very well?"
Because I've seen them not work very well but, I have not seen them on circs. They're fine if you're going to pop a boil or start an IV, the deeper you cut the less effect it has. Foreskin is pretty nerve dense, absorbtion may not be uniform, the cut is full thickness and of course each individual will experience the process differently. Unfortunately the patients in this case are unable to evaluate their experience. However the nature of the foreskin allows for treating both sides which may improve the effectiveness. I don't know. In 20 years in the ER I never saw a baby brought in for a circumcision issue. Adult males don't talk about it.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Because I've seen them not work very well but, I have not seen them on circs. They're fine if you're going to pop a boil or start an IV, the deeper you cut the less effect it has. Foreskin is pretty nerve dense, absorbtion may not be uniform, the cut is full thickness and of course each individual will experience the process differently. Unfortunately the patients in this case are unable to evaluate their experience. However the nature of the foreskin allows for treating both sides which may improve the effectiveness. I don't know. In 20 years in the ER I never saw a baby brought in for a circumcision issue. Adult males don't talk about it.
It's good that you never saw a baby brought in for a circumcision issue... My wife and I agreed early on that we wanted our son circumcised, but disagreed on whether it should be done by doctor (my preference) or by a certified mohel (my wife's). I did some research, and spoke with several doctors. What I learned was interesting... most of the doctors suggested going with the mohel. They said complications were unlikely either way, but while a doctor may have performed dozens, even a few hundred circumcisions, an experienced mohel who does this for a livelihood has performed literally thousands of circumcisions. The hospital even recommended two mohels in our area, once of which we used.