Ferguson police officer describes heartbreak of fatal shooting of 9-year-old

Wonderer

Council Hall
May 2014
Missouri
Ferguson Police Sergeant Dominica Fuller was among at least three officers who took the call Tuesday night to respond to a shooting on Ellison Avenue.

When she arrived, she found 9-year-old Jamyla Bolden bleeding, shot as she lay in her mother's bed doing her homework. She made sure the scene was secure and that other victims were getting assistance.

At a press conference Thursday, Fuller, who is also the mother of a 9-year-old, spoke of the devastation of that night.

"As a mother I was hurt," she said. "I showed emotion and I cried and said a prayer for her, and my heart is still broken."

Police still do not know who fatally shot Jamyla and injured the girl's mother around 9:30 p.m.

"The simple fact is our kids are dying at a young age at a fast pace and we as a community must come together," Fuller said.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/ferguson-police-officer-describes-heartbreak-of-fatal-shooting-of-/article_bb249529-3870-5ae1-83da-8545f4a6773e.html

This story has been in the news the past day or two, also. It's heartbreaking. I can't fathom what would possess someone to shoot into a house like this. :(

Last edited:
Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I appreciate this officer's humanity, but the grief belongs to the child's family first. What the police need to concern themselves with is catching this murderer.

Otherwise, this is just a narrative on how "those people" don't value human life as much as we do.

Wonderer

Council Hall
May 2014
Missouri
I appreciate this officer's humanity, but the grief belongs to the child's family first. What the police need to concern themselves with is catching this murderer.

Otherwise, this is just a narrative on how "those people" don't value human life as much as we do.
There are multiple articles and news stories on this incident -- this is the one on the front of today's Post Dispatch (which is about as far from a "those people" publication as you can get.) The family IS grieving. As is the whole community. Including Officer Fuller. [video]http://video.stltoday.com/?ndn.trackingGroup=91130&ndn.siteSection=stltoday_nws_loc_sty_pp&ndn.videoId=29578772&freewheel=91130&sitesection=stltoday_nws_loc_sty_pp&vid=29578772[/video]

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC

Wasn't really like that. If you get a chance watch the news conference video link in post #4. Conducted by Sgt. Fuller. Police seem very focused on catching the perp.

Last edited:
Aug 2014
gone

Seriously? You're bitching because the female office showed grief?

Wow.

Mar 2015
UK
Originally Posted by Madeline

Seriously? You're bitching because the female office showed grief?

Wow.
to cry for justice for the dead child is not 'bitching'

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
This is an unbelievably sad story. Yet, it happens all the time in black communities around this Country.

Now should be the time the community should gather and assist in finding this perp.

But, instead, many are out protesting the shooting of an armed criminal, who could as just as well been the perp of this crime.

This madness will not stop until these communities get their priorities straight.

Has BLM had anything to say about this crime? Because it sure seems to me this child's life mattered a hell of a lot more than some criminal shot in the streets.

Mar 2015
UK
This is an unbelievably sad story. Yet, it happens all the time in black communities around this Country.

Now should be the time the community should gather and assist in finding this perp.

But, instead, many are out protesting the shooting of an armed criminal, who could as just as well been the perp of this crime.

This madness will not stop until these communities get their priorities straight.

Has BLM had anything to say about this crime? Because it sure seems to me this child's life mattered a hell of a lot more than some criminal shot in the streets.
wow, it has not taken long before the bigoted world view is pressed upon this sad story.. :(

Wonderer

Council Hall
May 2014
Missouri

Actually, this may come as a shock to many, but no, this DOESN'T happen all the time in Ferguson.