Finland Government collapses over Universal health care costs

Apr 2018
oregon
It's not an ACA plan. It's a group plan that I pay for for my wife and I. And there have been years where I've easily exceeded $25k by 10x or more. One blood test at Ohio State set me back $20,000.

But because insurance has this thing called a "risk pool," the insurer is able to cover the huge costs.
Yep, that's how it works. My point stands, regardless. If you're paying more in than you're receiving, you're a fool. If you're receiving more than you're paying in, others are subsidizing you.

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
Yep, that's how it works. My point stands, regardless. If you're paying more in than you're receiving, you're a fool. If you're receiving more than you're paying in, others are subsidizing you.
No, my point stands. I guess you don't have car insurance either.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
Finland does not have financial problems.

Their centre right wing government can't pass a budget so they've called an election. This is done in hopes of getting more seats and then coming back and passing their budget without other party's help.

They want voters to give them a majority, thus a mandate to pass their budget.

In a parliament, the leading party can resign and call an election at any time. It's called "collapsing the government" and - I understand that's a confusing name but it does NOT mean a "collapse" in that sense of disaster.

Like when I need more space in the dining room for the kids to play so I "collapse" the table. I just took it down. It didn't break.

Finland does not have financial problems. Neither does Norway. Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, France, UK, Canada, Australia, new Zealand, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, or any of the hundred other modern developed nations that have universal health insurance.
ROFL. Thanks.

Jan 2014
south
Governments are supposed to resign when their coalitions can't pass key legislation. Parliament doesnt work when the government can't get a majority of votes on key initiatives.

UKs May should be taking notes.

That's what democracy is SUPPOSED to look like. You're not supposed to have elected officials with 30 percent support sitting around for three years because they have a fucking term limit.

The government didn't collapse. The ruling party is calling a new election.

Good lord.
agree. that is how a parliamentary system operates. this is normal operating procedure. just think how many elections the U.S. would have had in the last two years if we had operated on that system. I can think of three.

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
Again, you're incorrect. That's a bad habit you might want to look into fixing if you ever want to get ahead in life.
"Do you spend $6,000 a year in collision repair? If not, you're a fool to pay $500 a month to insure your car. If you spend more than $6,000 in repairs, you're mooching." — Orangecat

Aug 2018
Vancouver
agree. that is how a parliamentary system operates. this is normal operating procedure. just think how many elections the U.S. would have had in the last two years if we had operated on that system. I can think of three.
Australia has had six prime ministers in the past 11 years, by my count.

Apr 2018
oregon
"Do you spend $6,000 a year in collision repair? If not, you're a fool to pay $500 a month to insure your car. If you spend more than $6,000 in repairs, you're mooching." — Orangecat
Why did you put that in quotation marks as if I had said that? Can't you debate without lying?
Regardless:
Do you spend $6,000 a year in collision repair? If not, you're a fool to pay $500 a month to insure your car.
That's why I insure my cars at the lowest legal limit. The law mandates auto insurance foolishness. Healthcare insurance is not mandated.
If you spend more than $6,000 in repairs, you're mooching.
If others are paying for your excess needs, they are, by definition, subsidizing you.

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
Why did you put that in quotation marks as if I had said that? Can't you debate without lying?
Regardless:

That's why I insure my cars at the lowest legal limit. The law mandates auto insurance foolishness. Healthcare insurance is not mandated.

If others are paying for your excess needs, they are, by definition, subsidizing you.

"Auto insurance, by its very nature, subsidizes people who have wrecks!"—OrangeKat

(There. I gave it plausible deniability.)