Finland Government collapses over Universal health care costs

Jan 2019
southeast
You're confusing yourself by the word 'liberal'; which has been bizarrely distorted in US politics. I'm not sure why you keep pointing to Wikipedia's definition of the Centre Party as social liberals as if this settles something; but are unconcerned with Wiki's classification of the government coalition as 'centre right'. Worth noting that the ideology of one of their coalition partners is described by Wiki as 'liberal conservative'.

Now, arguing over political labels is a stupid waste of time that just leads to misinterpretation. Much better to specify what's actually meant. The Sipila cabinets main policy aims have been the reduction of government spending and labour reforms aiming to reduce wages (with the intention of making Finland's economy more competitive). That's what we mean when we say centre right. Feel free to call it something else, if you like.
You are wrong. They do have a conservative party (National Coalition Party) in Finland and the party the current PM is a part of it.

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
You are wrong. They do have a conservative party (National Coalition Party) in Finland and the party the current PM is a part of it.
Like I said, labels are meaningless when we don't agree on what they mean. What I meant was that the main policy planks of Finland's government were the reduction of government spending and labour reforms to reduce wages. That's facts. Whether or not that's what 'conservative' means is not really important.

Jan 2019
southeast
Like I said, labels are meaningless when we don't agree on what they mean. What I meant was that the main policy planks of Finland's government were the reduction of government spending and labour reforms to reduce wages. That's facts. Whether or not that's what 'conservative' means is not really important.
The point I was making on this thread was their Universal Healthcare which is failing because of the aging population. Think about it.

Apr 2018
oregon
Wow. You really DON'T know how insurance works.
I know exactly how insurance works. The fact that you are attacking me instead of engaging my post illustrates your own intellectual shortcomings, tbh.
How many healthcare dollars do you consume over the course of a year?
If it's less than $25k, you're a fool.
If it's more than $25k, you're being subsidized by others, AKA on the dole. Perhaps not the public dole, but other people are covering your excess costs. That is fine because they are doing it voluntarily, but it doesn't change the fact that others are subsidizing your care to some degree.

Last edited:
Aug 2018
Vancouver
Still, Finland has financial problems due to their "Free-for-everyone" economic system.

Why do you think that is?
Finland does not have financial problems.

Their centre right wing government can't pass a budget so they've called an election. This is done in hopes of getting more seats and then coming back and passing their budget without other party's help.

They want voters to give them a majority, thus a mandate to pass their budget.

In a parliament, the leading party can resign and call an election at any time. It's called "collapsing the government" and - I understand that's a confusing name but it does NOT mean a "collapse" in that sense of disaster.

Like when I need more space in the dining room for the kids to play so I "collapse" the table. I just took it down. It didn't break.

Finland does not have financial problems. Neither does Norway. Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, France, UK, Canada, Australia, new Zealand, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, or any of the hundred other modern developed nations that have universal health insurance.

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
I know exactly how insurance works. The fact that you are attacking me instead of engaging my post illustrates your own intellectual shortcomings, tbh.
How many healthcare dollars do you consume over the course of a year?
If it's less than $25k, you're a fool.
If it's more than $25k, you're being subsidized by others, AKA on the dole. Perhaps not the public dole, but other people are covering your excess costs. That is fine because they are doing it voluntarily, but it doesn't change the fact that others are subsidizing your care to some degree.
It's not an ACA plan. It's a group plan that I pay for for my wife and I. And there have been years where I've easily exceeded $25k by 10x or more. One blood test at Ohio State set me back $20,000.

But because insurance has this thing called a "risk pool," the insurer is able to cover the huge costs.