Firefly (and Serenity)

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
Firefly (and Serenity); a short essay

I was so inspired by this terrific show and the subsequent movie that I had to write something. Consider the following an homage to the show's philosophical core...... (warning: contains spoilers...)

Mercy

Mal has just knocked the huge man with the blade into the ship's engine..he pays for it later by being tortured by a man with no mercy....

Mal decides to protect River Tam after casting her and her brother aside. She lies helpless on the ground. It is his moment to walk away. He picks her up and takes a step which will end the lives of two of his crew and yet, he finds mercy for her in that moment.

Standing above the disabled operative, Mal turns on the recording that has finally freed River Tam and its truth stands as a final blow against the perfectionist alliance and its failed rulers. Mal takes mercy on the man and decides not to kill him while the young girl he took mercy on is saving the lives of his crew. She cuts down the Reavers who are in the state they are in for no fault of their own. They are wild and crazed and innocent and receiving the mercy killing which is their only release.......

And in the end, the mercy shown to the operative comes back and again, saves the lives of his remaining crew........

It is not an easy lesson, for Mercy on one has consequences for others.

And it is never easy for Mal to know when to show Mercy.

But he does.... Mercy to live. Mercy to die.

Mercy to his crew to push the man begging him for mercy away from the Mule. Mercy to the same man to kill him when in the hands of the Reavers...

Each moment while being the Captain of his crew he must choose. And that is his razor's edge.

Last edited by a moderator:

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
Firefly (and Serenity); a short essay

I was so inspired by this terrific show and the subsequent movie that I had to write something. Consider the following an homage to the show's philosophical core...... (warning: contains spoilers...)

Mercy

Mal has just knocked the huge man with the blade into the ship's engine..he pays for it later by being tortured by a man with no mercy....

Mal decides to protect River Tam after casting her and her brother aside. She lies helpless on the ground. It is his moment to walk away. He picks her up and takes a step which will end the lives of two of his crew and yet, he finds mercy for her in that moment.

Standing above the disabled operative, Mal turns on the recording that has finally freed River Tam and its truth stands as a final blow against the perfectionist alliance and its failed rulers. Mal takes mercy on the man and decides not to kill him while the young girl he took mercy on is saving the lives of his crew. She cuts down the Reavers who are in the state they are in for no fault of their own. They are wild and crazed and innocent and receiving the mercy killing which is their only release.......

And in the end, the mercy shown to the operative comes back and again, saves the lives of his remaining crew........

It is not an easy lesson, for Mercy on one has consequences for others.

And it is never easy for Mal to know when to show Mercy.

But he does.... Mercy to live. Mercy to die.

Mercy to his crew to push the man begging him for mercy away from the Mule. Mercy to the same man to kill him when in the hands of the Reavers...

Each moment while being the Captain of his crew he must choose. And that is his razor's edge.

Okay Firefly is pretty rocking too. Didn't see that when it was on, saw it on DVD a few years ago. *AWESOME*

Sad it was cancelled* after just one season. I think I saw Serenity first, then we got the Firefly DVDs because we liked the movie.

*edit to add 'after just one season'.

Last edited:

Rorschach

Former Staff
Aug 2012
america
Yes, that was a wonderful series, and, Serenity, tied everything up, beautifully.

Certainly, this story could have gone on for quite some time, but, Sci Fi is very difficult for Television CEO's to wrap their heads around. Unfortunately, it does not meet as neat a financial model as the typical sitcoms, Cop shows, or Medical dramas.

AND, if it is something with a stronger, more detailed on-going story, that only exacerbates the problems...

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
I love that cast and the show was outstanding. I catch marathons quite often as it's Sci-Fi Channels notch show.