First “good guy with a gun” story I’ve ever read

Mar 2015
The cloud
Nobody else has a story. Can’t say as I’m surprised.
While the media does their level best to bury most of the "good guy with a gun stores" because it doesn't fit the left wing narrative on the subject, there are plenty of those stories out there.

One just needs to be willing to do their homework rather than waiting for it to be done for them.

Jan 2018
Houston, TX
I have one; an almost pulled gun story -
I have a permit but I don't usually carry. Why? I go from home to my office; then home again in the evening. If I do go anywhere there might be a reason to be armed; I have a firearm in my car and one in my office. I hate driving with a gun on my belt so if I have one; I usually take if off and put it in my console. Slightly against the law because the law here states that it must be in a holster. So sometimes I have an extra empty holster in console and sometimes I don't.

This particular day was a Saturday and my wife and I were at the mall in Humble, TX. This is before I had my 2nd knee replaced. Why is that important? Because my wife is a fast walker and I was an old fat walker with a bad knee. As usual, she was way ahead of me headed toward the truck by herself carrying a very light bag of something she purchased.

I noticed two heads walking among the cars coming from different directions towards her. I moved to the center of the isle among the parked cars and quickened my pace. At about 25 yards, I hollered a loud "Hey!" As I was doing that I reached my hand around to my right rear belt area where I wear my holster and my CZ P-01 under my shirt. Both the converging guys and my wife stopped moving and all of them looked my way. My wife then quickly entered my truck and a few second later the two potential purse-snatchers, thugs, or whatever they were turned and went off in the separate direction where they came. They moved much quicker then they were before. Both of them had frozen in place for just a moment and must have anticipated what my next move would have been. When I got the truck I chewed out my wife for not being aware of what was going on around her. Luckily and gratefully, I didn't have to remove my firearm from my holster and we quickly left the mall parking area.

My wife asked me what would I have done? I told her I didn't know but I probably would have simply hollered again and started running towards her. At that point no real threat towards my wife had actually been made. But the speed at which the two retreated left me with no doubt about their intentions. I was willing to protect her the best I could but being aware of our surroundings was actually the best defense in this case. She again asked me if I would have actually shot one of them or both of them? I said yes; I would have taken down the big one first. We were both glad that it didn't get to that point. Women alone really have to be careful. Now, we mostly avoid the malls and if we have to go one; she assumes that I am armed and she no longer walks that far in front of me.

Besides, now 2nd knee is replaced and we walk together. And we are both more aware of our surrondings.
So, not much of a story and no one was harmed during the episode. So it is all good. We are both in our late 60's and apparently we are prime targets according to the police.

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
While the media does their level best to bury most of the "good guy with a gun stores" because it doesn't fit the left wing narrative on the subject, there are plenty of those stories out there.

One just needs to be willing to do their homework rather than waiting for it to be done for them.
Bullshit.

Dec 2018
Florida
Nobody else has a story. Can’t say as I’m surprised.
I’ve had a few incidents. Only 2 where a gun was very close to warranted. Nothing where I produced a gun (visibly) though. The closest I’ve come to pulling the trigger was on a dog that was going after a jogger. Glad I didn’t have to. I would hate shooting a dog about as much as a person.

I do have a relative and a friend who both had to produce a handgun to deal with violence against them. Luckily neither had to pull the trigger. Though one DID have to spend about $100,000 on lawyers. Fortunately he is loaded (and he regrets not pulling the trigger on the POS now for different reasons).

The NRA releases a magazine each month with multiple stories backed by news articles. I fail to see what your point is? Sometimes a gun is the only tool that is going to be of any use. Better to have it and not need it.

Last edited: