First Black Woman Governor in the Country, from Georgia?

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
That's right, there has never been a state in this nation that has had a black female as governor. Could Georgia be the first? There have only been two Republican governors in the State of Georgia since The Reconstruction. The Democrats had such a stronghold on the gubernatorial elections of the state that after the Democrat candidate would secure the primary, they'd head on over to the governor's mansion and measure the place for drapes. That all changed when Governor Roy Barnes raised taxes, approved the Georgia Northern Arc, and changed the flag. That was November of 2002.

It is not going to be an easy road for Stacey Abrams. There are no Democrats in state wide offices and haven't been in a decade. Every four years we hear that this will be the year that Georgia goes blue, only to see the Republicans win the elections.

Stacey Abrams has secured her position on the November ballot without a runoff, as there were only two candidates on the Democrat ticket. Lt Governor Casey Cagle and Secretary Brian Kemp will have a runoff in 9 weeks for the Republican slot in November. Of note was that the Democrats led by Abrams door-to-door grass roots campaign managed to turn out 553,397 voters, which did not keep pace with the Republicans turn out of 607,660.

Could this be the year that Georgia goes blue? Or just one more failure of the Democrats?

Stacey Abrams wins Georgia 'Battle of the Staceys' in bid to become first black female governor in U.S.

Stacey Abrams easily defeated Stacey Evans in the Georgia Democratic gubernatorial primary Tuesday that attracted national attention.

Now, Abrams will attempt to make history by becoming the nation's first black female governor — and Georgia's first woman governor — by winning the general election in November in a state that Republicans still dominate.

"We are writing the next chapter of Georgia history, where no one is unseen, no one is unheard and no one is uninspired," Abrams told supporters in Atlanta Tuesday night at her victory party. "Now let's go get it done."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/stacey-abrams-wins-georgia-battle-staceys-bid-become-first-black-n876616

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I think she would have a better chance if Bernie Sanders wasnt supporting her. The other "Stacey" that was in the race, had been supported by Terry McAuliffe, Howard Dean and more moderate democrats. She probably could have won Georgia. I am not sure this one can as she is already trying to appeal to the far left and not moderates.

Reactions: 1 person

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
I think she would have a better chance if Bernie Sanders wasnt supporting her. The other "Stacey" that was in the race, had been supported by Terry McAuliffe, Howard Dean and more moderate democrats. She probably could have won Georgia. I am not sure this one can as she is already trying to appeal to the far left and not moderates.
Abrams is far left. Too far left to win in Georgia. Both Kemp and Cagle already hold elected state offices, so I don’t expect some accusation like one of them slapped a woman thirty years ago.

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
Hopefully she will lose in November.

I don't see the good people of Georgia electing a Governor from the racist Democrat Party.
She is good at getting people to register and vote. If she mounts an all out effort, I have no doubt that she will carry Fulton, DeKalb, Dougherty, Clark, Rockdale, and several other urban counties. But the governor's office in Georgia is usually won by the rural. I just do not see her pulling it off.

Reactions: 1 person