FiveThirtyEight Live Blogging The Election

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Some cool info and observations coming from multiple staff members over at FiveThirtyEight where they're live blogging election results. A nice tab to keep open today, possibly.

Interesting election history too, like:

We’re now three and a half hours until we get our first look at exit poll data. That data is currently under quarantine. I remember a time, however, when that data could leak it out. Back in 2004, the very first wave of exit polls suggested by mid-afternoon that Democrat John Kerry was well on his way to defeating Republican President George W. Bush. Many people believed that the exits were right, and it even caused massive movement in the stock market. It turned out that the data was wrong. The exit polls overestimated Kerry’s support, and Bush went on to to win a small but comfortable victory.

That should serve as a lesson both at 5 p.m. and now. We won’t know who is going to win until the votes are actually counted. Don’t believe in reports you read online that supposedly give you a keen insight of who is going to win. No one knows.

Don?t Believe Everything You Read

Also some fun short videos too:

Close Calls, Wild Nights: Before 2000, There Was Election Night 1960
Election Night Debuts: 1948 And 1952

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
I'm not getting a lot of work done today. EVERY Election Day I kid myself I will. Some day I'll learn....
Yeah, I sort of rationalize that it's a slow work day today, but really it's just as busy as any other. Productivity takes a severe nosedive though.

May 2012
By the wall
Yeah you aren't going to see many reports on the election since their last screw up.

They are going to wait until the votes are counted. The hits they took last time is not something easily forgotten.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Interesting thing brought up:

10 states offer "Straight Ticket Voting" where you can check one box and it selects either all Democrats or all Republicans in all races on the ballot for you. You still have to select the non-partisan contests individually.

I'd never heard of such a thing.

States that have this:
Alabama
Indiana
Iowa
Kentucky
Michigan
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Texas
Utah

http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/straight-ticket-voting.aspx