Flashback: When Obama told out-of-work miners to learn to code…

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
So, you and Macduff are both arguing that we should simply NOT CARE about stuff like this:

Redirect Notice

The authors note that coal mining's impact goes beyond aquatic species and can affect the health of communities. It is linked to increased human mortality from lung cancer, chronic health problems, and kidney disease. It also can affect recreational opportunities, including fishing and game hunting, by killing off fish and animals and making the surviving fish too dangerous to eat.
I work in a field where the risk of AIDS and Hepatitis is high risk. All jobs have risks. My Dad worked in the mines almost 20 years and he is 91 years old, great lungs, and no chronic conditions that are related to the mines. My cousin does not have any health issues at all and eats the fish and game on a regular basis. My uncles all lived up into their 80's and did not have mine related health issues. Most black lung patients were smokers in addition to the mines.

I realize that coal died a long time ago, starting with automation. My issue is no one cared enough to transition them to something comparable. If we at least gave these areas the same consideration and empathy we give immigrants, for example, things would look a lot better. Instead we treated them like the idiots that the left perceives people who live in fly over States to be.

Dec 2014
The Milky Way
Well then some Buzzfeed or Huffington Post writers can now take that same advice.
And the average salary for coding isn't near 6 figures.

Yeah, that was the point. The left chuckled whem Øbama dissed hard working Americans and told them to learn to code. Those same people are now all upset at the fired (non) journalists being told to learn to code. Funny how the leftist posters missed that part of the OP.

Here it is again:

In the political social media sphere, the phrase “learn to code” has become one of the worst dogwhistles and has actually been banned by Twitter because it is just so abusive.

But that’s only because people on the right are using the phrase.

Back when Obama was president and he was literally pointing to miners while telling everyone who had lost their jobs to learn to code, it was totally OK.

Dec 2014
The Milky Way
CHART: Power Is A LOT More Expensive Under Obama
Because of arbitrary regulations that killed jobs.

That poster claims he taught economics for something like 33 years. Well, it is a partial explanation as to why two generations of Americans are economic illiterates.

Øbama, President Zero.

In January 2008 when he was running for President, then-Senator Obama, said, “[E]lectricity rates would necessarily skyrocket…. [W]hatever the plants were, whatever the industry was, they would have to retrofit their operations. That will cost money. They will pass that money onto consumers.”

President Obama Keeps His Promise: Electricity Rates Will Skyrocket Because of Carbon Rules

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
That poster claims he taught economics for something like 33 years. Well, it is a partial explanation as to why two generations of Americans are economic illiterates.

Øbama, President Zero.

In January 2008 when he was running for President, then-Senator Obama, said, “[E]lectricity rates would necessarily skyrocket…. [W]hatever the plants were, whatever the industry was, they would have to retrofit their operations. That will cost money. They will pass that money onto consumers.”

President Obama Keeps His Promise: Electricity Rates Will Skyrocket Because of Carbon Rules
Why are you advocating for pollution?

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
Help me out here. I thought I was up on all the cyber abuse possible.
How is the phrase "learn to code" abusive? Why is it a dogwhistle on Twitter? (Which may be a dumb question, considering Twitter's volatile nature.)

I really don't know. If professional coal miners could switch to a higher paying career in computer tech and avoid the black lung that is certainly coming their way, how is making such a suggestion abusive?

I do think it's kind of tacky for a president to use that phrase, but Obama (besides being the worst president in history) is also the most classless. It certainly sounds like something that would emanate from that entitled, spoiled brat's piehole.
Not quite so bad as Pocahontas or mocking a diabled guy.

Reactions: labrea

Lunchboxxy

Apr 2010
Oregon
Also, I’d like to point out that this is a very weird mischaracterization of what Obama actually said.

He didn’t tell out of work miners they should just learn to code. In a single paragraph of an essay on resilience in rural America, Obama mentioned miners who are learning to code.

So we’re making progress — progress that’s possible only because of the strength and resilience of the people in our rural communities.

In Pikeville, Kentucky, former coal miners are trading coal for code. They’re retraining to learn HTML, JavaScript, and PHP, transforming an old bottling factory into a digital hub. It’s a transition that not only supports good jobs, but also offers a glimpse of what the future could look like in other communities like Pikeville.

In Clinton County, Ohio, young people have organized to tackle the brain drain, creating a fellowship program that matches local businesses with college students home for the summer. And those young people aren’t just learning, they’re leading — just last year, Wilmington, Ohio elected a majority-millennial city council.
It’s kind of mind boggling how the OP managed to turn this into a negative and then get all his RW friends to jump on the dog pile