Flashback: When Obama told out-of-work miners to learn to code…

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
Also, I’d like to point out that this is a very weird mischaracterization of what Obama actually said.

He didn’t tell out of work miners they should just learn to code. In a single paragraph of an essay on resilience in rural America, Obama mentioned miners who are learning to code.

It’s kind of mind boggling how the OP managed to turn this into a negative and then get all his RW friends to jump on the dog pile
I was born in Pikeville Kentucky and yes, the City has changed a lot. No one is dog piling anything in the thread...they are just giving a different POV...which is not echoing what some want to hear. This is the college where my cousins kid is attending medical school..thanks to her Dad who has worked 7 days a week to provide this education. This is what happens to the retirement fund and saving. You have kids.

Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine - University of Pikeville

Jan 2016
Colorado
That poster claims he taught economics for something like 33 years. Well, it is a partial explanation as to why two generations of Americans are economic illiterates.

Øbama, President Zero.

In January 2008 when he was running for President, then-Senator Obama, said, “[E]lectricity rates would necessarily skyrocket…. [W]hatever the plants were, whatever the industry was, they would have to retrofit their operations. That will cost money. They will pass that money onto consumers.”

President Obama Keeps His Promise: Electricity Rates Will Skyrocket Because of Carbon Rules
And NOW your President Trump is ARTIFICIALLY forcing Americans to pay higher electricity prices, simply to keep FAILING coal plants in operation, that would otherwise go BANKRUPT, and you're perfectly OK with that!!

Too bizarre for words!!

You don't even BEGIN to understand free market economics!!

Jan 2016
Colorado
It triggers the people who depend on the retirement and a good salary. You are young...you can start over. Consider a person who is 55 with only a few more years to go before they can retire. They lose their insurance, jobs are difficult to obtain at that age...even with training and the Union retirement they depended on will be significantly reduced. These people paid taxes their entire life, worked like dogs to provide energy for the Country. How would you feel...when you are 55 years old and the government decides what you do is a waste of money and jerks the rug out from under you...after you worked your entire life, paid significant taxes, and tells you basically to fuck off. That is what happened to the coal miners. We could have least offered them Medicare at 55, instead half the Country mocked them. We are trillions in debt as a Nation and at the same time, destroying the older middle class. Who do you think pays for the safety nets in this Country...the people who earn over 60K a year....not jobs that pay under 30K and that is what replaced the wages for these miners.

Just because a person disagrees with the atrocities that have happened to the working class isn't an automatic "Oh they are triggered" That is something an elitist would say.
Sigh. No. No, that is NOT what happened to the coal miners, HCProf. It was NOT the 'government' that pulled the rug out from under them. It was the MARKET!! How much documentary proof do you need of this, anyhow?!??? Truly, it makes ZERO SENSE to blame Obama for the price of natural gas collapsing on his watch, and undermining coal in the process. It was a technological revolution that did that. Fracking. Should Obama have STOPPED the oil and gas industry from deploying fracking all over the country?

Can you IMAGINE how the Republicans would have HOWLED if Obama had TRIED to do that?!??

Apr 2010
Oregon
Have you ever visited Appalacia? There aren't any jobs to train for. Do you honestly think everyone is going to get a 60K coding job? The kids of my cousins are from your generation and they are doing quite well...thanks to their Fathers who worked 7 days a week in a filthy mine so they would not have to. Two of them went to college for nursing...one of them is a nurse NP, two of them are teachers, and one is in Med school training to be a family practice doctor. You do have to change with the times...the ones I am talking about are over 50, and with children and grandchildren. Southern people do not hang their kids out to dry and sacrifice to ensure their kids do better than the generation before them. None of their kids have student loans.

I think at the tail end of the industry, the job loss was rapid where prior due to automation, it was a slow decline to allow people to prepare. My question, since the working class has eroded, where will we replace the tax dollars that was lost so we can maintain the ever growing safety net? A salary in the 20,000 range isn't going to cut it.
Unemployment in West Virginia is 5.3%. Obviously there are jobs. Mining isn’t the only manual labor job. Those people could easily do construction or other similar jobs. Coding obviously isn’t the only option. It’s mearly an example he used to show how resourceful people are changing with the times. It’s a ridiculous thing to try and demonize. Communities and states need to invest in brining other opportunities for workers. Convince tech companies to open a manufacturing plant or incentivize solar panel construction in your town. The state could invest in large infrastructure projects. There are options out there that aren’t just sitting around and complaining that coal is gone.

Very few students walk away with no student loans. Tuition is very expensive, It’s great that your cousins have no student date, but they are in the minority. And the south holds as much student debt as anywhere else. More than some parts of the country.
1549867169552.jpeg

I graduated with a B.S I’m biology. I work as a biologist in a university lab. I’m paid through a temp agency because science funding is hard to come by these days. I make $15/hr. I don’t have insurance. I have 50k in student debt. I was supposed to get on with the university proper which would allow me to at least get insurance, but the grant that was going to fund my position was with the EPA and the current administration has decided that environmental work isn’t that important so I’m in limbo. And I’m pretty lucky to even have a job in my field. Many millennials have degrees, but aren’t working in the field they got their degrees in.

You think the coal miners have sympathy for me? Fuck no. They vote for a man who is actively against my job. They vote for people keeping me from having access to insurance. I’m digressing again.

My point is there is no reason to treat miners like snowflakes who need special treatment because they chose to work in an industry that had been on the decline for 60 years. No one treats other professions like that. There are other options out there. And coal communities need to start making new opportunities because coal isn’t coming back.

You aren’t wrong about the collapse of the middle class. But that isn’t really the fault of the obsolescence of coal. That’s due primarily to ever increasing income inequality. There isn’t much of a middle class anymore. Nearly 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck. There’s really only poor, working poor, and wealthy now.

The federal government should be trying to bridge the gap between poor and mega rich and be investing in good paying jobs for the future. Not on making empty promises to bring back an archaic industry.

If the answer isn’t training workers for modern jobs, what is it? What’s a better solution?

Last edited:
Dec 2014
The Milky Way
LOL Twitter is now suspending accounts for using the term "learn to code". The left can dish it out but sure can't take it.

Dec 2014
The Milky Way
And NOW your President Trump is ARTIFICIALLY forcing Americans to pay higher electricity prices, simply to keep FAILING coal plants in operation, that would otherwise go BANKRUPT, and you're perfectly OK with that!!

Too bizarre for words!!

You don't even BEGIN to understand free market economics!!

You make no sense as usual. None. Electric rates rising was part of what Øbama planned for the American people. That is your guy.

Øbama planned on forced closings of coal fired plants, which resulted, and would have resulted in much higher prices had that idiot Hillary won.

The free market will close coal plants now, not governmental regulations, intrusion, and all the rest that the statists like Øbama and Hillary were forcing on the people and the power companies. No one is forcing coal plants to remain open if the economics makes sense. You have no clue.

Apr 2010
Oregon
LOL Twitter is now suspending accounts for using the term "learn to code". The left can dish it out but sure can't take it.
No. They aren’t. The inforwars guy was suspended for abusive language, not because he said learn to code.

Dew replied, “John please close your pussy, it’s flapping in the wind again,” and was notified by Twitter that the message violated rules against abusive behavior.

“This was a joke, pussy is short for puss which is another name for a mouth. So I’m literally saying close your mouth it’s flapping in the wind. If the former director of the CIA is feeling threatened by my tweet he should #LearnToCode,” Dew responded.
Breaking: Infowars Reporter Suspended By Twitter Over “Learn to Code” Tweet

Surprise! Not only are you mischaracterizing what Obama said about miners and coding, but you’re also mischarcterizing why someone was suspended on twitter.

It’s almost like your entire OP was total bullshit

Apr 2010
Oregon
You make no sense as usual. None. Electric rates rising was part of what Øbama planned for the American people. That is your guy.

Øbama planned on forced closings of coal fired plants, which resulted, and would have resulted in much higher prices had that idiot Hillary won.

The free market will close coal plants now, not governmental regulations, intrusion, and all the rest that the statists like Øbama and Hillary were forcing on the people and the power companies. No one is forcing coal plants to remain open if the economics makes sense. You have no clue.
Lol. Obama didn’t kill coal. Unless he has a time machine.
1549871746742.gif
More coal plants have closed during Trump’s first two years than Obama’s entire first term

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/07/politics/pennsylvania-coal-plants-weir-wxc/index.html

Sep 2013
On a hill
That poster claims he taught economics for something like 33 years. Well, it is a partial explanation as to why two generations of Americans are economic illiterates.

Øbama, President Zero.

In January 2008 when he was running for President, then-Senator Obama, said, “[E]lectricity rates would necessarily skyrocket…. [W]hatever the plants were, whatever the industry was, they would have to retrofit their operations. That will cost money. They will pass that money onto consumers.”

President Obama Keeps His Promise: Electricity Rates Will Skyrocket Because of Carbon Rules
Climate change has cost california a bundle in more ways than one.