Flu shot less effective; virus has mutated

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
CDC is informing health professionals that this years flu shot wont be effective against a deadly strain because it has already mutated.

"Scientists are concerned about what they're seeing so far this flu season, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday, a day after the agency advised doctors this year's flu vaccine is not as effective because the current strain of the virus has mutated."

"Dr. Tom Frieden said researchers are worried that with this particular strain of the virus, "we could have a season that is more severe than most with more hospitalizations and more deaths."

CDC: Flu shot less effective; virus has mutated - CNN.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people
Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
One of many strains has mutated, and the jab may not be as effective against that particular strain. So not "Not effective against flu" but "May not be as effective against one of a basketful of forms of flu" would be more accurate (though much less dramatic.....)

Reactions: 1 person
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
One of many strains has mutated, and the jab may not be as effective against that particular strain. So not "Not effective against flu" but "May not be as effective against one of a basketful of forms of flu" would be more accurate (though much less dramatic.....)
True but so far they are only seeing one particular strain.. If the strain they are already seeing has mutated then it will have no effect at all against that strain, correct? It may help if other strains appear later on.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Your thread title is very misleading. Re-read your thread title, and then read this paragraph from the linked text:

While this year's version is not as protective against a mutated strain, it can still decrease the severity of illness caused by the virus. It can also protect against other circulating strains of the virus, which is why the CDC still recommends getting the vaccine.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Your thread title is very misleading. Re-read your thread title, and then read this paragraph from the linked text:
I had meant to use the same title as CNNs but when I copied and pasted the link I made a mistake and ended up screwing it up. I didn't notice it until it posted. How come we can edit content but not titles?

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
I had meant to use the same title as CNNs but when I copied and pasted the link I made a mistake and ended up screwing it up. I didn't notice it until it posted. How come we can edit content but not titles?
Edit your OP, and then click the "Go Advanced" button. It will give you more text-editing controls - and it should add a field that allows you to change the thread subject. If it doesn't work, post here and I'll take care of it.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Edit your OP, and then click the "Go Advanced" button. It will give you more text-editing controls - and it should add a field that allows you to change the thread subject. If it doesn't work, post here and I'll take care of it.
Seems to have changed it here (on this link) but not elsewhere?

Jen

Apr 2012
USA
CDC is informing health professionals that this years flu shot wont be effective against a deadly strain because it has already mutated.

"Scientists are concerned about what they're seeing so far this flu season, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday, a day after the agency advised doctors this year's flu vaccine is not as effective because the current strain of the virus has mutated."

"Dr. Tom Frieden said researchers are worried that with this particular strain of the virus, "we could have a season that is more severe than most with more hospitalizations and more deaths."

CDC: Flu shot less effective; virus has mutated - CNN.com
This is the reason I don't get a flu shot.
Why bother?

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
This is the reason I don't get a flu shot.
Why bother?
This is why:

While this year's version is not as protective against a mutated strain, it can still decrease the severity of illness caused by the virus. It can also protect against other circulating strains of the virus, which is why the CDC still recommends getting the vaccine.
In other words, the vaccine will still protect you from infection from other influenza strains. And if you are unfortunate enough to contract the mutated strain, you'll suffer less as a result of the vaccination.