Fmr. Deputy Webster Arrested For Planting Evidence 120+ Times

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
A former Florida sheriff's deputy was arrested Wednesday after authorities alleged he planted drugs and falsely charged dozens of innocent motorists after pulling them over under the guise of a minor traffic stop.

Jackson County Deputy Zachary Wester was taken into custody in Crawfordville, about 20 miles south of Tallahassee, after a yearlong investigation by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement revealed that he frequently stopped drivers for minor traffic infractions and then covertly planted methamphetamine and other drugs in their vehicles while conducting a search, authorities said in a statement.

*Snip*

Wester’s actions led prosecutors to drop charges in almost 120 cases that occurred between 2016 and 2018, including one man who lost custody of his daughter as a result of the false arrest.

In October 2017, Benjamin Bowling was falsely charged and arrested by Wester for possessing methamphetamine while driving to the store to pick up diapers, according to the arrest warrant. Florida's child welfare agency had recently awarded Bowling custody of his daughter after being released from prison on a DUI conviction, but as a result of the false arrest, he lost custody of the child.

"There is no question that Wester's crimes were deliberate and that his actions put innocent people in jail," FDLE Pensacola Assistant Special Agent in Charge Chris Williams said in a statement.

Ten special agents and two crime analysts scoured over 1,300 minutes of recorded video and logged more than 1,400 working hours to discover Wester’s nefarious pattern, he said.

Williams said authorities found 42 pieces of drug paraphernalia, 10 baggies of methamphetamine and five baggies of marijuana concealed in an unmarked and unsecured evidence bag in the trunk while searching Wester’s car.

Wester faces 52 counts of various felony charges including racketeering, official misconduct, fabricating evidence, possession of a controlled substance and false imprisonment, as well as misdemeanor perjury, possession of a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Authorities began investigating Wester last year at the request of the sheriff's office. He was fired last September.

Wester was booked into the Wakulla County Jail and is being held without bond.
https://news.google.com/articles/CA...vIaCCzDnxf4CMN2F8gU?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

This man has caused so much pain for so many people, if this is true.

Your thoughts?

May 2019
Backatown, USA
A 9-month investigation by the FDLE, tons of evidence, and 52 charges. It must be true.

My question is.....why? What did he have to gain? Deputies don't get paid by the arrest. Was he targeting a certain race, or other group?

I'm with Bubba - he should be sentenced to all the combined jail time given to his victims. And how many of them were rotting in jail during the 9 months that the investigation took? Every one of them should sue the county's ass off.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
my thoughts? Thankfully, we live in a country where the same rights he allegedly deprived people of will provide him with a fair trial.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Read this story in the newspaper this morning. Glad the guy finally got caught/prosecuted.

Without know all the details, it seems amazing that the deputy was able to pull this off for so long. Have to assume that just about every person he planted evidence on was screaming bloody murder that "he planted that evidence on me!!". Shouldn't take all that long for someone to start taking notice of that pattern.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
A 9-month investigation by the FDLE, tons of evidence, and 52 charges. It must be true.

My question is.....why? What did he have to gain? Deputies don't get paid by the arrest. Was he targeting a certain race, or other group?

I'm with Bubba - he should be sentenced to all the combined jail time given to his victims. And how many of them were rotting in jail during the 9 months that the investigation took? Every one of them should sue the county's ass off.
I'd like to know his motive, too. This case bears watching.

Mar 2019
TN
There was a similar case in Mississippi (if memory serves). I can't remember if it was a national news show or a local one. But in that case it was a white officer and every single person he sent to prison was black. Almost all from the same neighborhood (small town anyway) a bunch of them were related. He targeted the poorest of the poor. These people were barely above share cropper existence and he was busting them with major distribution weight charges. Long sentences.

May 2019
Backatown, USA
There was a similar case in Mississippi (if memory serves). I can't remember if it was a national news show or a local one. But in that case it was a white officer and every single person he sent to prison was black. Almost all from the same neighborhood (small town anyway) a bunch of them were related. He targeted the poorest of the poor. These people were barely above share cropper existence and he was busting them with major distribution weight charges. Long sentences.

And this one.

Video Appears to Show NYPD Cops Planting Drugs in Black Teen’s Car

https://www.theroot.com/video-appears-to-show-nypd-cops-planting-drugs-in-black-1830536340

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
If kamala was the prosecuter, shed save the guy! In nyc they have whats called a “ham sandwich” which is slang for guns or drugs for planting on suspects.

;)