Fmr Evangelical Pastor & "Purity Movement" Author Annonuces He is No Longer Christian

May 2019
A Van Down by the River...
"The information that was left out of our announcement is that I have undergone a massive shift in regard to my faith in Jesus. The popular phrase for this is 'deconstruction,' the biblical phrase is 'falling away.' By all the measurements that I have for defining a Christian, I am not a Christian."
The man who literally wrote the book on the Purity Movement announced on Instagram that he is no longer a Christian.

A few weeks ago Joshua Harris announced he was splitting with his wife and denounced his own book, "I Kissed Dating Goodbye," that insisted on maintaining virginity until marriage. He apologized for any harm his book had upon readers who followed its dictates on sex, dating and marriage. Funnily enough, the Christian community pointed to the wife for the cause of the breakup since she wasn't a virgin when she met Harris (he was).

However now the most recent revelation points to Harris's changing stance on just about everything he once espoused, including gay marriage. In his recent announcement he apologized to the LGBTQ community saying he's had an about face and now supports gay marriage.

His former church is reeling with the news and hope he returns to his faith at some point.
Christian Today: Harris Has Lost Faith

May 2019
Megachurches are all centered around cults of celebrity. There's good money in it, if your conscience will allow you to pursue such a career.
I know! That's why this dude is a notable anomaly. Do you know after he announced his book was crap Christians ran out to buy it! They felt the books still were relevant and worth following. (Now that's some good brain-washing there). Well now he is ceasing any future printings.

Even after his marriage fell apart he was still making money off relationship how-tos. All he had to do was keep his trap shut.

And then to tack on the ultimate sin of aligning with the LGBTQ folk was a real deal-breaker. Talk about burning bridges. Man, IMO, he's one of the most Christian Evangelicals around!

Mar 2019
Oklahoma
"The information that was left out of our announcement is that I have undergone a massive shift in regard to my faith in Jesus. The popular phrase for this is 'deconstruction,' the biblical phrase is 'falling away.' By all the measurements that I have for defining a Christian, I am not a Christian."
The man who literally wrote the book on the Purity Movement announced on Instagram that he is no longer a Christian.

A few weeks ago Joshua Harris announced he was splitting with his wife and denounced his own book, "I Kissed Dating Goodbye," that insisted on maintaining virginity until marriage. He apologized for any harm his book had upon readers who followed its dictates on sex, dating and marriage. Funnily enough, the Christian community pointed to the wife for the cause of the breakup since she wasn't a virgin when she met Harris (he was).

However now the most recent revelation points to Harris's changing stance on just about everything he once espoused, including gay marriage. In his recent announcement he apologized to the LGBTQ community saying he's had an about face and now supports gay marriage.

His former church is reeling with the news and hope he returns to his faith at some point.

Never heard of this dude or his church . . . but he isn't the first "preacher" to fall short and give in to secularism because it's ultimately easier. Bill Hybels is another one who many people felt was the "perfect preacher" and yet basically resigned in disgrace.

Reactions: ripskater
May 2019
Never heard of this dude or his church . . . but he isn't the first "preacher" to fall short and give in to secularism because it's ultimately easier. Bill Hybels is another one who many people felt was the "perfect preacher" and yet basically resigned in disgrace.
Sure, it does happen. The priest who administered my First Communion quit a decade later to become a bartender.

And while I didn't follow this guy's career he was the founder of a movement one couldn't avoid. They filled stadiums with people pledging their chastity, based upon his "teachings."

I think he stands out among the apostates.

Jun 2014
United States
Never heard of this dude or his church . . . but he isn't the first "preacher" to fall short...

No, he's hardly the first. He's one of many, and most of them are so obscure that their stories don't make national news.

Oct 2013
Upstate New York

Interesting turn of events for Mr. Harris; he's not the first nor will he be the last to change his viewpoint on Christianity.

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
Being rejected as a traitor by hundreds of thousands of followers and readers is easier than having their unwavering attention and commitment to everything you say? Yeah the trappings of fame and all that, but it took courage to follow his conscience and let them know that he didn't believe in most of what he had been saying. He'll surely have to sell some of his houses now that book sales will collapse and he won't be filling any stadiums.

Easier?