Food for the heart in a new California health program

Sep 2013
On a hill
This idea makes so much sense. I love it!

By David Gorn | July 17, 2018 | HEALTH

Sharon Quenton is feeling pretty good. She’s walking well, breathing well and feels like she’s going to be just fine.

The 67-year-old is three weeks removed from her latest trip to the hospital for problems related to congestive heart failure, a condition in which the heart can’t pump properly. That was scary, she said.

“I had water around my heart. I had to go to the hospital a few times,” Quenton said. “My breathing was acting crazy. But now, I’m cool. I’m all right.”

One reason she’s better, she said, is the two large grocery bags that just arrived at the front door of her little apartment in southwest Los Angeles—part of a new state experiment using diet to improve the health of congestive heart failure patients.

“So I have two bags for you. All your meals for the week,” delivery volunteer Susan Coleman told her. “Now, some of them are frozen …. They should go in the freezer.”

“Oh yeah, this is good stuff,” Quenton said as she unpacked everything. “It’s wonderful to get it.”

Quenton is one of those enrolled in a $6 million pilot project authorized last year by the Legislature and Gov. Jerry Brown. Run by the state Department of Health Care Services, it was launched in seven counties for 1,000 congestive heart failure patients in Medi-Cal, the state’s version of federal Medicaid care for the needy.

https://calmatters.org/articles/food-for-the-heart-in-a-new-california-health-program/

Sep 2013
On a hill
Study of a similar program.

The project served 1745 people, 1177 patients and 568 caregivers, in southern Maine between July 2013 and June 2015. Data from MMC included 622 patients (data from settings other than MMC are not available) whose characteristics are displayed in the Table. The mean age was 71.7 years, and 56.6% were female. Among the 622 MMC discharges who received SDM during the 24 months, the 30-day readmission rate was 10.3% (95% CI, 8.1%-12.9%; n = 64 readmissions). This is 16.3% lower than MMC’s CCTP 30-day readmission rate of 12.3% (95% CI, 10.0%-15.2%; n = 77 readmissions) since the beginning of the CCTP in 2012, and a 38.0% improvement over MMC’s baseline (pre-CCTP) 30-day all-cause readmission rate of 16.6% (95% CI, 13.8%-19.7%; n = 103 readmissions). The cost savings for the 13 fewer readmissions with the addition of SDM to CCTP were $212,160. The cost of providing 7 days of meals to the 622 discharges was $43,540. Thus, the return on investment was 387%, or a benefit-cost ratio of $3.87 for every $1.00 spent.

https://www.ajmc.com/journals/issue...y-delivered-meals-a-tale-of-collaboration?p=1
Makes good compassionate, and financial sense.

Jul 2014
midwest
There aint too many US teens working the lettuce fields in Arizona and Salinas California.

Good food for the Heart shouldn't cost $6 dollars a head.
Just give em food stamps so they can go get Doritos, Mountain Dew, and Ding Dongs.

Which is what they are already living on...