For Andy Borowitz Fans: Real Fake News

May 2013
Boise, ID
I post this under Poli-Discussion instead of Poli-Satire because the top news agency in China is actually reporting Andy's stories (Borowitz Report) as if they are real.

Guess you could call it satire aversion which happens not only in China, but over at Fox News where they fall for stories from The Onion, and at Bushie's WH Correspondence Dinner where someone believed that Steve Colbert was an honest to God conservative and 100 other examples!

So sit back, relax and enjoy Andy's depictions from China, then ASK yourself: When (oh Gawd WHEN) will cons understand satire? :D

Video: Andy Borowitz's Real Fake News : The New Yorker

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Palin has said WAY crazier things than about an American invasion of Egypt so, well.. consider the source Duffy.

ALSO, Maddow issued a heartfelt retraction the following night.. can you name ONE Fox News retraction of their fake news FUBAR?
How many liberals thought "I can see Russia from my house" was an actual Palin quote?

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I remember that retraction.
Yes, those folks asking [Sarah Palin] to invade North Africa it turns out are writers for a satirical website called ChristWire.org, which is really actually very excellent. Props to them for a brilliant piece of satire, shame on us for believing it, but in a world where China taking over New Zealand is what passes for real analysis on the situation in Egypt, how do we know that's not satire, too?
So her heartfelt retraction is admitting that she has a hard time telling the difference between satire and actual news. Maybe she's in the wrong line of work then. That seems like a pretty severe handicap for a news commentator. And apparently her research staff doesn't know what Google is.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
How many liberals thought "I can see Russia from my house" was an actual Palin quote?
I don't know many. But it's funny to watch it be said and see the eruption of "SHE DIDN'T SAY THAT!!!!". It's a joke about her. Gerald Ford didn't fall down as many times as Chevy Chase portrayed him too either. Bill Clinton didn't overeat the way Phil Hartman portrayed he did either. It's comedy.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't know many. But it's funny to watch it be said and see the eruption of "SHE DIDN'T SAY THAT!!!!". It's a joke about her. Gerald Ford didn't fall down as many times as Chevy Chase portrayed him too either. Bill Clinton didn't overeat the way Phil Hartman portrayed he did either. It's comedy.
Yeah but there are lots of people on the left who thought that Tina Fey's line was actually said by Palin. Despite it being, y'know, satire.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Yeah but there are lots of people on the left who thought that Tina Fey's line was actually said by Palin. Despite it being, y'know, satire.
I keep hearing that. And I wouldn't be shocked to find that there were probably some. I've just never encountered it. I do know of plenty of times that people have repeated it as a way of mocking Sarah Palin and then been accused of saying it as if they were quoting her though. It's not usually even notable... except for when it's an over the top reaction. But over the top reactions are awesome regardless of which side they come from.

May 2013
Boise, ID
Satire and comedy of any sort goes WOOOP around 12 feet over their heads. ;-)