For Jews, America was once exceptional. Now, anti-Semitism is as strong here as in Europe.

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Normal thinking people believe murder ends one's life on earth.
That isn't fair. There is no 'normal' with the topic of abortion. Even Libertarians are split. It's a complex moral question. Many Libertarians like myself believe that a woman has control over her own body (up to a point) and others believe that abortion crosses the line into violence against another. Both are 'normal' ways of thinking. And actually I believe also that it is violence against another, it's like a back against the wall, gun against my head to choose thing for me.

Sep 2013
On a hill
That isn't fair. There is no 'normal' with the topic of abortion. Even Libertarians are split. It's a complex moral question. Many Libertarians like myself believe that a woman has control over her own body (up to a point) and others believe that abortion crosses the line into violence against another. Both are 'normal' ways of thinking. And actually I believe also that it is violence against another, it's like a back against the wall, gun against my head to choose thing for me.
I was thinking only of those who had made it from the womb and into the world as a fellow air breathing human being.

May 2016
Florida
No, I was saying you're using their same dumb argument. If everyone's house is on fire, there is no use in saying but a BLACK person's house is on fire. Oh, now a JEW's house is on fire, as if that means more than the other houses, makes them less important.
If you’re going to respond to me, please use some thought about what you wrote before clicking “reply”.

You don’t get it, you see in your analogy, there would be no reason to say whose house is on fire, if the fire department didn’t have a history of discriminating on putting out fires of houses owned by minorities....

Apr 2015
Katmandu
For Jews, America was once exceptional. Now, anti-Semitism is as strong here as in Europe.
Joshua Safran, Opinion contributor
(You may have to open the link in an incognito window. --IJ)

One of the things I’ve cherished most about being an American is the ability to walk around as a Jew without terrorists actively plotting to kill me. Over the years I’ve taken this freedom for granted, even while recognizing that it’s a luxury and a privilege that arguably only America has been able to provide. As any readily identifiable Jew traveling abroad will tell you, most of the rest of the world is stuck in the Dark Ages by comparison.

We American Jews have been left with an understandable sense of American exceptionalism. We come from a free country, a place where you can pray if you want to, wherever you want to, whenever you want to, and no one can or will do anything about it. As Jews, we were guaranteed religious liberty by none other than George Washington, in his 1790 letter to the Jews of Newport, and we danced with the Torah, firm in our faith in the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment. From 1790 to today, American Jews had a good 229 year run of religious freedom.

On Oct. 27, 2018, an accused terrorist shouted, “All Jews must die!” and murdered 11 people, wounding seven more, during Shabbat morning services at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh. Jewish communities across America, including my own in Portland, Oregon, held their breath. Was this a one-off aberration? Or did this portend a new direction for the land of the free?

We received our answer last week on the last day of Passover, when another gunman shot up another synagogue, this time at the Chabad of Poway, near San Diego. According to the accused terrorist's manifesto, he was seeking to send Jews to where they belong, namely, to hell. One murdered and three wounded this time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The question is not whether it will happen again, but where it will happen next. This is why my synagogue (among many others) has armed guards, and some armed members, for Shabbat and holiday services (which is when the most people are there - during the week, far fewer).
Is the real danger to the Jewish people an occasional insane racist? Is racist even the correct description, are you a different race than some of these murders? Today there are people questioning the US support of Israel and support of Jews here in the USA.

If your faith is truly important in your life and in the decisions you make, where could you find a person of influence that supports the Jewish people and Israel more than Donald Trump? Look at how the members of the political party you associate with feel today.

In the present, I would suggest you reconsider your political affiliation. Look at the role Samatha Powers played in the Obama Administration. Look at her written opinion and the actions taken by Barack Obama.

May 2016
Florida
Is the real danger to the Jewish people an occasional insane racist? Is racist even the correct description, are you a different race than some of these murders? Today there are people questioning the US support of Israel and support of Jews here in the USA.

If your faith is truly important in your life and in the decisions you make, where could you find a person of influence that supports the Jewish people and Israel more than Donald Trump? Look at how the members of the political party you associate with feel today.

In the present, I would suggest you reconsider your political affiliation. Look at the role Samatha Powers played in the Obama Administration. Look at her written opinion and the actions taken by Barack Obama.
You mean like “Jews won’t replace us” chant by the alt-right in which Trump thinks are “very fine people”?

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN

32 of the 34 Jews in Congress are Democrats, do you think they support Jews more than the white supremacist in the Republican Party? If not, why not?

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Is the real danger to the Jewish people an occasional insane racist? Is racist even the correct description, are you a different race than some of these murders?
Though "racist" is not the correct term, since Jews are not of a single race, the answer to the first question is "yes." Not the only danger, but a real one nonetheless.
Today there are people questioning the US support of Israel and support of Jews here in the USA.
And in other parts of the world, too. And on both sides of the political spectrum.
If your faith is truly important in your life and in the decisions you make, where could you find a person of influence that supports the Jewish people and Israel more than Donald Trump?
Trump is a horrible human being who does whatever helps him. If it did not help him to support Israel, he would not do it.
In the present, I would suggest you reconsider your political affiliation.
That is not going to happen. I live in the United States. Just because there are antisemites in the Democratic party - and they are in the Republican party as well, anyway - does not make the rest of the Democratic party antisemitic. I do not wish to be governed by Republicans, as they oppose most of my political interests and ideals. If all I cared about were guns and Israel, I might consider a change; but the reality is that it is better to stay where I am and instead seek to persuade other Democrats to change position, than to switch parties and do the same with Republicans on a whole lot more issues.