For-profit prisons looking to cash in on budget-strapped states

Muninn

Former Staff
Jun 2012
At Odin's side
At a time when states are struggling to reduce bloated prison populations and tight budgets, a private prison management company is offering to buy prisons in exchange for various considerations, including a controversial guarantee that the governments maintain a 90% occupancy rate for at least 20 years.

The $250 million proposal, circulated by the Nashville-based Corrections Corporation of America to prison officials in 48 states, has been blasted by some state officials who suggest such a program could pressure criminal justice officials to seek harsher sentences to maintain the contractually required occupancy rates.

<snip>
Private purchasing of prisons locks in occupancy rates

This is absolutely heinous! I cannot think of a more frightening story to comment on. We already live in a nation where the justice system is used as a revenue source for budget strapped counties, where judges and prosecutors have everything to gain and nothing to lose by maxing out sentences.

Now this. If this were to pass, we'd see more laws created, more people going to prison over nothing and an increase in harsher sentences. Wake up people, this can't happen

Sep 2011
aMEEErica

This is absolutely heinous! I cannot think of a more frightening story to comment on. We already live in a nation where the justice system is used as a revenue source for budget strapped counties, where judges and prosecutors have everything to gain and nothing to lose by maxing out sentences.

Now this. If this were to pass, we'd see more laws created, more people going to prison over nothing and an increase in harsher sentences. Wake up people, this can't happen
"Oh... there's nothing wrong with this..." :distant:

Not hardly!

Um, the most egregious part is the quota... how in the hell do they justify trying to provide that?

There really needs to be a law or ruling that says the state has condemned you, sentenced you, they must also be in charge of your corrections and that prisons cannot be "farmed out". (pun intended.)

[video=youtube;LvwqK2gn3S0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvwqK2gn3S0[/video]

Damn, talk about a way to corrupt the entire law enforcement, justice and correctons system in one fell swoop!

Thx :sulkiness:

Last edited:
Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.

Great, just fucking great! I can see it now.....
"WTF, you boys get your asses out and arrest some people. Our fucking occupancy rate dropped to only 89% last week." Being a former manager of a fucking Holiday Inn will now be a requirement for a person applying for a job as a fucking prison warden.

Jun 2006
Vancouver

What a fucking nightmare for anyone stuck in the system.

Red Eft

Former Staff
May 2007
Don't forget the labor pool that comes from this. Why send stuff overseas when you can force prisoners to make the crap in exchange for room and board. Sounds like a win-win system to me.

Jun 2006
Vancouver
Don't forget the labor pool that comes from this. Why send stuff overseas when you can force prisoners to make the crap in exchange for room and board. Sounds like a win-win system to me.
I'd read elsewhere that local sherrifs in Louisiana had pooled together to build the private prisons - which profit by the same sherrifs convicting more people for longer periods of time.

Imagine being in custody giving a statement to a police officer who makes money by convicting you of something.

NPR.org ยป How Louisiana Became The World's 'Prison Capital'
A new expose by The Times-Picayune of New Orleans calls Louisiana the "world's prison capital."

The state imprisons more people per capita than any other state or country in the world, with one out of every 86 adults behind bars. Its rate of incarceration is three times higher than Iran's and 10 times higher than Germany's.

How did Louisiana double its prison population in the past 20 years? And what differentiates it from other states?

The difference, says Times-Picayune reporter Cindy Chang, is that more than half of the inmates in the state are housed in local prisons run by sheriffs, and the state's correction system has created financial incentives for those sheriffs to keep prisons full.

"In Louisiana, the system has grown so that sheriffs house a lot of inmates who are serving state sentences," Chang tells Fresh Air's Dave Davies. "And the reason the sheriffs are willing to do that is because they get money in return for doing that."

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Annnnnnd... I wonder what kind of penalties for illegal aliens will spring from this?

That lettuce is going to be picked one way or another.

[video=youtube;kSJZ12iMzvQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSJZ12iMzvQ[/video]

Thx :/

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10

You have a DOJ that supplies arms to cartels, and helps launder drug money. Banks that fund the cartels and private prisons, and an administration that has made medical marijuana public enemy number one.

We have more prisoners in private prisons than the soviets had in their gulags.

Nice.

Muninn

Former Staff
Jun 2012
At Odin's side
What a fucking nightmare for anyone stuck in the system.
Great, just fucking great! I can see it now.....
"WTF, you boys get your asses out and arrest some people. Our fucking occupancy rate dropped to only 89% last week." Being a former manager of a fucking Holiday Inn will now be a requirement for a person applying for a job as a fucking prison warden.
Well, that's the scary part, is the occupancy requirement will force more people into the system. Police will be extra "vigilant" because their bosses will put more pressure on them to make arrests; so expect arrests to skyrocket. Also, there will be more pressure on prosecutors and judges to convict, so expect less cases to be dropped and wrongful convictions to skyrocket.