For the first time "No Religion" has topped a survey of Americans' religious identity

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Count me as a "none".

Ryan Burge, a political scientist at Eastern Illinois University and a Baptist pastor, found that 23.1% of Americans now claim no religion.

Catholics came in at 23.0%, and evangelicals were at 22.5%.
"Religious nones," as they are called by researchers, are a diverse group made up of atheists, agnostics, the spiritual, and those who are no specific organized religion in particular. A rejection of organized religion is the common thread they share.

"It is the first time we have seen this. The same questions have been asked for 44 years," Burge told CNN.

The meteoric rise of religious nones began in the early 1990s and has grown 266% since 1991, he said.

Burge estimates that 'No Religion' will be the largest group outright in four to six years.
Survey: As many Americans claim no religion as there are evangelicals, Catholics - CNN

Jun 2014
United States
Many so-called Christians these days have also rejected traditional religion and opted for non-denominational "Churches" instead. These organizations have no established doctrine upon which they base their teachings and typically rely upon the personal opinions of their charismatic leaders who tend have no formal theological training whatsoever. Others continue to claim "Christianity" while attending no worship services and belonging to no Christian congregation. Anyone can claim to be a Christian, regardless of what their actual religious beliefs are, or whether they even hold any religious beliefs. If those folks weren't being counted as Christians, then Christianity in the US would have long since become a minority religion, and that doesn't even count the folks who attend a traditional Christian Church on a regular basis as a social function, but hold no particular religious beliefs. It's not really unusual for children to abandon a religion after observing their parents going through the motions of practicing said religion merely as force of habit. That's why you see so many abandoned churches these days. It is unlikely that the trend toward not practicing a religion will be reversed in the foreseeable future.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
A bit of a side note but I read where some millennials and others are more interested in religion due to Mayor Pete. He speaks so often about his faith and church that others who may have left their faith due to various issues are now considering taking a second look. Thats pretty fascinating.

Jun 2014
United States
A bit of a side note but I read where some millennials and others are more interested in religion due to Mayor Pete. He speaks so often about his faith and church that others who may have left their faith due to various issues are now considering taking a second look. Thats pretty fascinating.

Sounds like nonsense to me.

Mar 2019
Down a back road turn south on a gravel drive
Our country was founded by people that sailed the Atlantic. They brought Christianity, the Bible and Christian ideals that made our country great. Today's progressive movement thinks these ideals need turned upside down, and we're seeing society decay with all of this. So this trend is not a good sign.

Jun 2014
United States
Our country was founded by people that sailed the Atlantic. They brought Christianity, the Bible and Christian ideals that made our country great. Today's progressive movement thinks these ideals need turned upside down, and we're seeing society decay with all of this. So this trend is not a good sign.

Most of them were running away from the Christianity being practiced in Europe.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
So you are saying that people who have critical thinking skills are wrong?

And nowhere in that poll did it show political affiliation

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Don't forget there's a world of difference between "being interested in religion" and "joining a religion." I'm interested in religion; it's a subject I find fascinating. But I'm an atheist; plain and simple.