For those dreaming of overturning Roe - Be careful what you wish for!

Jun 2014
United States
If those Bible Belt Republicans pushing this issue do manage to overturn Roe v. Wade, they'll be killing the "golden goose" that has for decades allowed GOP politicians to flaunt an emotional wedge issue that garners support from poorly educated working class voters whose economic and quality of life issues are badly served by Republican policy priorities.

Should these people actually see first-hand the consequences of making abortion illegal again in the US, I suspect they'll fairly quickly develop a different opinion regarding the subject. Most of them have been hoodwinked into believing that abortion could be made illegal without the consequence of women who seek an abortion winding up in prison. Of course, that is irrational as hell, but you remember how Donald Trump was attacked by Republicans when he dared to admit that this would be the case in a televised interview during the 2016 campaign.

Trump was right, in this case. There is no such thing as committing a crime for which there would be no punishment. The fact that one is punished under the law for committing a crime is what defines criminal behavior. There is no such thing in the rational world as a crime without a punishment. That's just another "alternative fact" that is being promoted by anti-abortion crusaders.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
If those Bible Belt Republicans pushing this issue do manage to overturn Roe v. Wade, they'll be killing the "golden goose" that has for decades allowed GOP politicians to flaunt an emotional wedge issue that garners support from poorly educated working class voters whose economic and quality of life issues are badly served by Republican policy priorities.

Should these people actually see first-hand the consequences of making abortion illegal again in the US, I suspect they'll fairly quickly develop a different opinion regarding the subject. Most of them have been hoodwinked into believing that abortion could be made illegal without the consequence of women who seek an abortion winding up in prison. Of course, that is irrational as hell, but you remember how Donald Trump was attacked by Republicans when he dared to admit that this would be the case in a televised interview during the 2016 campaign.

Trump was right, in this case. There is no such thing as committing a crime for which there would be no punishment. The fact that one is punished under the law for committing a crime is what defines criminal behavior. There is no such thing in the rational world as a crime without a punishment. That's just another "alternative fact" that is being promoted by anti-abortion crusaders.
Fear, the same way they did to the ACA until people realized they would lose the protections. Then Republicans quit having town halls!:)

Nov 2018
Bel Air, MD
Some actions are evil, and you take a stand against it no matter what.
I agree. However, SCOTUS will not allow it to stand.

I think SCOTUS should rule that states can make their own decisions regarding abortion. If the majority of Americans living in Alabama want abortion to be banned, then they should have that right.

Jun 2014
United States

I think SCOTUS should rule that states can make their own decisions regarding abortion. If the majority of Americans living in Alabama want abortion to be banned, then they should have that right.

The Supreme Court has ruled that access to abortion is a right under our constitution, and they will never rule that the various states are allowed to usurp constitutional rights via state legislation. This SCOTUS could certainly ignore stare decisis and overturn the prior findings of the Roe v. Wade case and all of the challenges that have come since Roe v. Wade. In that case, it would be up to the individual states to regulate abortion. I think it's highly unlikely that Congress would attempt to make abortion a federal crime via legislation, even if Roe v. Wade were overturned.

May 2012
By the wall

That would be automatic if they overturn Roe v. Wade.

They can't decide that abortion is completely illegal.