Former anti-ISIS envoy: Trump's Syria decision has given ISIS "new life"

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
As I've stated before, I very much want us to get out the endless wars and military endeavors that seem to have no real purpose and accomplish nothing but cause more trouble and unrest. But there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. Not only has Trump's abrupt decision to pull out of Syria strengthened ISIS but because of the unilateral way he made the decision our allies are pretty much ignoring us and not taking the US into consideration in their decisions which could mean they end up doing things against our best interests. Not because they would purposely do that, but because Trump has essentially disengaged from our allies they don't consult with us. He is such a bumbling fool. He is unfit for that office.

The big picture:
Trump's decision to pull troops from Syria sent shockwaves through the national security community and led to the resignation of both McGurk and Defense Secretary Jim Mattis. McGurk writes that Trump's assertion that ISIS was defeated was "not true," and that his decision to leave Syria "was made without deliberation, consultation with allies or Congress, assessment of risk, or appreciation of facts."
  • "Two days after Pompeo's call
    , Trump tweeted, 'We have defeated ISIS in Syria.' But that was not true. ... Days later, he claimed that Saudi Arabia had 'now agreed to spend the necessary money needed to help rebuild Syria.' But that wasn’t true, either, as the Saudis later confirmed. Trump also suggested that U.S. military forces could leave Syria within 30 days, which was logistically impossible."

Jul 2019
Atlanta
As I've stated before, I very much want us to get out the endless wars and military endeavors that seem to have no real purpose and accomplish nothing but cause more trouble and unrest. But there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. Not only has Trump's abrupt decision to pull out of Syria strengthened ISIS but because of the unilateral way he made the decision our allies are pretty much ignoring us and not taking the US into consideration in their decisions which could mean they end up doing things against our best interests. Not because they would purposely do that, but because Trump has essentially disengaged from our allies they don't consult with us. He is such a bumbling fool. He is unfit for that office.

There is no reason in the world for Saudi Arabia to rebuild Syria. Let Russia pay for it.