Former GOPer Richard Painter begins campaigning as a democrat for senate

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
What are his chances there?

Minnesota Senate candidate Richard Painter (D) released his first campaign ad this week, likening Washington to a “dumpster fire.”

Painter, who previously served as White House ethics lawyer under former President George W. Bush and switched political parties for the Senate bid, is first shown in the ad standing in front of a dumpster fire. “Some people see a dumpster fire and do nothing but watch the spectacle,” Painter says. “Some are too scared to face the danger, or they think it will benefit them if they let it keep on burning.” “Some of them shrug and say, 'Oh, all this talk about dumpster fire, it’s just fake news,’” he continues. “There is an inferno raging in Washington. But here in the 'Land of 10,000 Lakes,' we know how to put out a fire,” Painter says, as water behind him extinguishes the flames.

He announced earlier this year that he was switching parties to run as a Democrat for former Sen. Al Franken’s (D) seat. Painter is going up against Sen. Tina Smith (D), who was appointed to the seat last year after Franken resigned amid allegations of groping women.

“Democratic voters are going to agree with me on many more of those issues than your typical group of Republican voters today because of the transformation of the parties over the years,” Painter told The Hill earlier this year. “I’m going to deliver. I’ve taken firm positions on issues the voters care about, and I will get my positions implemented.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...r-puts-out-dumpster-fire-in-first-campaign-ad

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Not sure since Tina Smith was given the job, but Richard Painter changed his registration. He is a New Democrat and he takes no prisoners!like Al Franken he goes right to the heart of things. No pussyfooting in Richard!

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Not sure since Tina Smith was given the job, but Richard Painter changed his registration. He is a New Democrat and he takes no prisoners!like Al Franken he goes right to the heart of things. No pussyfooting in Richard!
I had thought voters liked her but now it looks to be a big primary there.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I dunno, people that change their party just sound ambitious, not moral.
It depends. In today's political environment, party switches are to be expected. The problem is whether to trust such a switch or not, but in general I think they are probably reliable.

Jun 2014
United States
I dunno, people that change their party just sound ambitious, not moral.

Depends upon their motivation. Richard Shelby only changed parties because he was afraid that he wouldn't win reelection if he didn't. Painter has never been a politician. His change in party allegiance is obviously a response to the gross immorality of the Trump administration.

I'd say that Minnesotans now have two fine Democratic candidates from which to choose.