Fox News coverage of the Philly mass shooting incident was above and beyond the quality of coverage on other networks - Until....

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Fox News seems to have the infrastructure in place to quickly pivot and begin stellar coverage on events they deem to be a "Fox News Alert". If you happened to be flippin through channels to see who was providing the best coverage of the Philly shooting , you'd have to be pretty bias against Fox News not to admit they had the best coverage. Hell, MSNBC wasn't really even covering it at all for at least an hour or two. "The Five" was interrupted to cover the event. Then, even after announcing that previously schedule programing would resume, when breaking news occurred regarding the shootings they covered that as well. Credit where credit is due.

Once they did resume previously schedule programing is when things began to get a little strange. In one particular instance, Sean Hannity had a guest on saying that the cops would surely "bum rush" in and take the gunman out. I didn't catch the name of this guest. But, in fairness, Hannity didn't sign on to his comments. Moments into that segment, in fact, he interrupted his panel to go live to a police commissioners briefing. During that briefing the police commissioner expressed optimism that they would be able to negotiate the shooter out peacefully. Which was some pretty awesome police work in of itself. Yet still, doesn't excuse the irresponsible and, frankly, barbaric comments by this guest.

Later that night something else a bit strange happened. Cory Booker was on Rachel Maddow for a previously scheduled interview. I didn't watch the entire interview. But, I did watch the beginning of it. The first thing he was asked about was his legislation on gun control. Of note, is the fact that he wanted to give the police who showed such bravery in Philly their due consideration. This was not the perspective given by Kamala Harris when she was interviewed by Wolf Blitzer regarding the shooting. She seemed ill-prepared for the questioning. Her answers seemed painfully rehearsed.

One would think over at Fox News they'd appreciate Booker giving praise to the police department . But, oh nooooooo. Jesse Waters played a edited clip of Booker instead. Yes. He included Booker giving praise to the police. But, the question he was asked was edited out. Leaving Booker praising the police and then talking about his gun violence proposals. Again. That's what he was asked about. Then Jesse Waters made some comment about how Democrats don't ever want to talk about politics when there's a terrorist attack. It was one of the moments when I found myself screaming at the tele..."But you showed the clip and now you're talking about politics".....

This isn't to say that other networks don't use the same tactics. It's just seems Fox News is more blatant about it.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Jul 2014
midwest
The other networks had to get back to hating on Trump.

Actually, I did see some of Fox's coverage because the others had dropped it.

I'm sure they "updated" the story occasionally...

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
FOX very often has the best coverage for breaking news. Usually the fastest on air and Shep Smith and Chris Wallace are great. Its when it becomes opinion or politicial pieces they go off the rails. They had phenomenal coverage of the fires in CA last year and the flooding down south in spring.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
something else about "The Five" I'd like to mention.
How come they never let Juan Williams speak uninterrupted?

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Fox News seems to have the infrastructure in place to quickly pivot and begin stellar coverage on events they deem to be a "Fox News Alert". If you happened to be flippin through channels to see who was providing the best coverage of the Philly shooting , you'd have to be pretty bias against Fox News not to admit they had the best coverage. Hell, MSNBC wasn't really even covering it at all for at least an hour or two. "The Five" was interrupted to cover the event. Then, even after announcing that previously schedule programing would resume, when breaking news occurred regarding the shootings they covered that as well. Credit where credit is due.

Once they did resume previously schedule programing is when things began to get a little strange. In one particular instance, Sean Hannity had a guest on saying that the cops would surely "bum rush" in and take the gunman out. I didn't catch the name of this guest. But, in fairness, Hannity didn't sign on to his comments. Moments into that segment, in fact, he interrupted his panel to go live to a police commissioners briefing. During that briefing the police commissioner expressed optimism that they would be able to negotiate the shooter out peacefully. Which was some pretty awesome police work in of itself. Yet still, doesn't excuse the irresponsible and, frankly, barbaric comments by this guest.

Later that night something else a bit strange happened. Cory Booker was on Rachel Maddow for a previously scheduled interview. I didn't watch the entire interview. But, I did watch the beginning of it. The first thing he was asked about was his legislation on gun control. Of note, is the fact that he wanted to give the police who showed such bravery in Philly their due consideration. This was not the perspective given by Kamala Harris when she was interviewed by Wolf Blitzer regarding the shooting. She seemed ill-prepared for the questioning. Her answers seemed painfully rehearsed.

One would think over at Fox News they'd appreciate Booker giving praise to the police department . But, oh nooooooo. Jesse Waters played a edited clip of Booker instead. Yes. He included Booker giving praise to the police. But, the question he was asked was edited out. Leaving Booker praising the police and then talking about his gun violence proposals. Again. That's what he was asked about. Then Jesse Waters made some comment about how Democrats don't ever want to talk about politics when there's a terrorist attack. It was one of the moments when I found myself screaming at the tele..."But you showed the clip and now you're talking about politics".....

This isn't to say that other networks don't use the same tactics. It's just seems Fox News is more blatant about it.

Your thoughts?
My thought is you have a very good eye for detail. I can watch coverage but not opinion on Fox.