Foxconn backing off it's promises

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
They shouldn't have made this deal in the first place. What about the "government shouldn't be picking winners and losers" crap Ryan was spouting about Solyndra? There's not two sides to the story this isn't on the Dems. Every one of the golden shovels was held by a Republican and only three Dems in the WI senate voted to do it.

All the fence sitting you do must be crushing your balls.
Nah. My balls are just fine.

But i do try to avoid being so consumed with the tribe mentality that i just view the world through an "us versus them" perspective. It really isn't as black and white as many of the posters here like to paint.

Hopefully it's only a forum thingy. And your brain is a little more open minded in real life. Dunno.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
They shouldn't have made this deal in the first place. What about the "government shouldn't be picking winners and losers" crap Ryan was spouting about Solyndra? There's not two sides to the story this isn't on the Dems. Every one of the golden shovels was held by a Republican and only three Dems in the WI senate voted to do it.

All the fence sitting you do must be crushing your balls.
But we saw states going nutty over getting Amazon to move their second HQ to their states. They were promised the moon by NY and VA and eventually chose them. Now it appears it will become so expensive in those areas, many of the people wont be able to stay there as their property/school taxes will rise staggeringly high and Amazon doesnt have to pay any for 10 years.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
So now I'm wondering why Foxconn didn't think this through. What kind of successful multi-national corporation decides to build a factory in Wisconsin or anywhere else without knowing exactly what they are planning to construct and what it will do?

It's only been a year since this deal was agreed to. How could "conditions" have changed that much? And there's reason to believe they weren't sure they could do what they promised before they signed the contract, isn't that fraud?
I am telling you, I seriously think this is a scam. "Make me look good" campaigning or whatever. The golden shovels look great and its a big photo op. It also wouldnt surprise me if there was a plan there that if Walker lost they would do this. I bet it was all planned. I have long suspected companies and CEOs do this stuff to put up a politician they like or one they get favors from. If they lose they layoff or pull out. GE did that in CT. They made a huge stink about how awful the governor was and then moved to MA and talked about how wonderful the governor was there and all the goodies he gave them.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
Nah. My balls are just fine.

But i do try to avoid being so consumed with the tribe mentality that i just view the world through an "us versus them" perspective. It really isn't as black and white as many of the posters here like to paint.

Hopefully it's only a forum thingy. And your brain is a little more open minded in real life. Dunno.

When one of those tribes is trying to destroy the village you should take notice and fight them.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
As a side note, I have worked in urban planning/civil engineering for over 20 years and even that CVS, Starbucks, Mobil station in your little town were likely to have gotten huge tax breaks from your mayor to build there. We have a small town nearby and half the commercial building have tax breaks or no taxes in exchange for them hiring locals and being in your town. It has worked this way forever and crosses all political boundaries.

Jun 2014
United States
As a side note, I have worked in urban planning/civil engineering for over 20 years and even that CVS, Starbucks, Mobil station in your little town were likely to have gotten huge tax breaks from your mayor to build there. We have a small town nearby and half the commercial building have tax breaks or no taxes in exchange for them hiring locals and being in your town. It has worked this way forever and crosses all political boundaries.
No, it hasn't "worked this way forever".

Not unless you consider "forever" to have begun in the late 1960s.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
That happened here in Zanesville whey Time Warner opened a call center some years back and our mayor held them to their promise to keep 150 people employed there.

But this is billions of dollars, people lost their property to eminent domain, roads were built by the state, etc. In the meantime existing businesses have been keeping people employed and they and their employees get stuck making up the shortfall in revenue.

There needs to be limits on this, although I do respect a state's right to decide for themselves if they do or don't want these sweetheart deals. They always make them sound like such a great thing for the people of the state and I have to wonder how many of them actually recoup the cost.

Plus I really don't like the idea of taxpayer money being used as basically a bribe with the company paying zilch and the workers paying all the taxes. It reminds me of when my dad was unemployed for a while in the 70's and he ended up paying an employment agency $1000 for a job. It was a crappy job too.

With unemployment being so low right now, shouldn't the companies be paying to set up in places where there's an ample supply of skilled employees? I just feel like this is ass backwards in a lot of ways.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
valid location
Life isn't simple. Business decisions can be complex. Suspect the truth lies somewhere between the two sides slinging stones at each other.

From a practical perspective. Can only hope there were conditions written into the incentives/subsides contracts between Wisconsin and Foxconn. If Foxconn doesn't come up with all their promises then the incentives should be reduced accordingly. Pretty basic contract fundamentals.

That's what I'm thinking, but is this the case? I think that's the real key to this story. If Wisconsin GOP gave away the store without conditions, they are guilty of massive malfeasance (and maybe corruption). I don't see how anyone can reasonably blame the results of an election for the decision of a private employer to pull out of a deal like this, since the contract is already determined. The governor can't unilaterally end it.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
That's what I'm thinking, but is this the case? I think that's the real key to this story. If Wisconsin GOP gave away the store without conditions, they are guilty of massive malfeasance (and maybe corruption). I don't see how anyone can reasonably blame the results of an election for the decision of a private employer to pull out of a deal like this, since the contract is already determined. The governor can't unilaterally end it.
The other issue is if there was a contractual obligation to this. Sometimes its a word of mouth, handshake deal and sometimes its put in writing. The other problem is often times the state/city etc guarantees the tax breaks but the company has a clause that allows them to back out for all sorts of reasons like a turn in the economy, change in government, natural disaster etc. We have no idea what they had here.

Sep 2014
South FL
Remember those Republican lawmakers & the president with their golden shovels at the Foxconn groundbreaking ceremonies in Wisconsin? Turns out all those manufacturing jobs may not be created after all.

Exclusive: Foxconn reconsidering plans to make LCD panels at Wisconsin plant | Reuters

And don't forget this was part of the deal:

'"Makers and takers" on steroids. We're being taken everyday by our elected politicians who choose to take our hard earned pay and give it to their wealthy friends & we get squat in return.

Please let this become a campaign issue!
Even if it came to fruition it'd still be a cronyism disaster.