France allows unions hold its government and economy hostage

Feb 2011
Boise, ID

French unions are bracing for December 5th when they go on what is expected to be a hugely disruptive strike, involving railway workers, Metro and bus drivers, hauliers, teachers, airline ground crew, air traffic controllers and postal workers.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Is it though? Or was this an expression of apathy?
Probably apathy. I see public unions as small potatoes in the realm of influence on governments when compared to say, the fossil fuel industries. So unions squeeze out a few more bucks in pay, it's not as if they are one individual playing puppeteer with government policies using a nation's military to guard their oil fields all over the world.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
This has been my impression (stereotype?) Of France for decades. Since I was first watching or reading the news. They're famous for their disruptive and lengthy strikes, no?

I don't even know if it's true. It's just like "Germans love beer" , "Brits like Soccer" , "French people strike and riot" .

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
Probably apathy. I see public unions as small potatoes in the realm of influence on governments when compared to say, the fossil fuel industries.
Energy companies don't threaten the virtual shutdown of entire national economies until their demands are met. The influence France allows unions to have over it is clearly extremely significant.

So unions squeeze out a few more bucks in pay, it's not as if they are one individual playing puppeteer with government
Oh they do that too, they do it oodles. I think every Democratic presidential candidate has some version of the PRO Act as part of their labor policy platform, which promises a full repeal of all states' Right To Work laws (private sector only), eliminates the right to have NLRB-supervised secret ballot elections, gives unions more access to private information, redefines "employee," makes it illegal for employers to speak in opposition of unionizing. It's a veritable comprehensive wish list of virtually everything a labor boss could ever want, and I don't think I've seen a single candidate show even a whiff of skepticism about any of these things. Unions play puppeteer with Democrats throughout the country and at all levels of government.

But what's going on in France is different.