Frank Zappa was a genius...gem from the 80s is still true.

Sep 2012
California
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgHsDzdjb78

Frank Zappa explained how the right wing cleverly created the mythology that the media has a liberal bias. By making this claim over and over again for years upon years, it has now become part of almost every right wing complaint or agenda item, the media is out to get them, Bezos is out to get Trump, the media is not fair, only Fox is fair, they are the enemy. What most of us who are over 60s know is that this effort took years to materialize and gain mainstream acceptance. Starting with Walker Cronkites infamous remark in Prime Time about the war, the right wing has made this one of their central tenets making them out to be victims and targets of those bad liberal elites. Today, I bet you cannot find one conservative that does not believe the media is liberal outside of Fox News. The POTUS makes this claim daily, he is at war with all forms of media that do not parrot his ideas and proclaim him infallible. We just saw this trickle down to the EPA with the banning of certain MSM personnel from a briefing.

I do not advise trying to reason with these folks. As all of us know, reason will not alter their belief systems. You cannot prove them wrong when they will not listen or hear or read your proofs. All we can do is out vote them and drive them into the ash heaps of history. Get everyone you know to register to vote and make sure they vote. We only have power because of our voices and our votes. The institutions of government are not going to fix this, they can only stall them until we vote these people out. As for the media, the left needs to start taking seriously the consolidation of vertical and horizontal media outlets, content and delivery systems. We cannot let the entire nation be driven by the voices of the few because our government let everyone merge together into a few very powerful corporations.

As Zappa sang, "Who you jiving with that cosmic debris?"

Sep 2006
Englewood, Fl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgHsDzdjb78

Frank Zappa explained how the right wing cleverly created the mythology that the media has a liberal bias. By making this claim over and over again for years upon years, it has now become part of almost every right wing complaint or agenda item, the media is out to get them, Bezos is out to get Trump, the media is not fair, only Fox is fair, they are the enemy. What most of us who are over 60s know is that this effort took years to materialize and gain mainstream acceptance. Starting with Walker Cronkites infamous remark in Prime Time about the war, the right wing has made this one of their central tenets making them out to be victims and targets of those bad liberal elites. Today, I bet you cannot find one conservative that does not believe the media is liberal outside of Fox News. The POTUS makes this claim daily, he is at war with all forms of media that do not parrot his ideas and proclaim him infallible. We just saw this trickle down to the EPA with the banning of certain MSM personnel from a briefing.

I do not advise trying to reason with these folks. As all of us know, reason will not alter their belief systems. You cannot prove them wrong when they will not listen or hear or read your proofs. All we can do is out vote them and drive them into the ash heaps of history. Get everyone you know to register to vote and make sure they vote. We only have power because of our voices and our votes. The institutions of government are not going to fix this, they can only stall them until we vote these people out. As for the media, the left needs to start taking seriously the consolidation of vertical and horizontal media outlets, content and delivery systems. We cannot let the entire nation be driven by the voices of the few because our government let everyone merge together into a few very powerful corporations.

As Zappa sang, "Who you jiving with that cosmic debris?"
Was never into Zappa. I really like his buddy, Captain Beefheart though. He and his "Magic Band" Himself. Great nonsense and good fun.

Crusher

Former Staff
Aug 2011
Heaven Above
Survey after survey, and study after study, has shown the U.S. Media to have a definitive Left Wing Bias.

They are virtually all Democrats. They almost all voted for the Democrat candidate over the last 30+ years.

Zappa is a genius musician/poet, but not so much on the media's bias.

Dec 2014
NWOHQ
Zappa is a genius musician/poet, but not so much on the media's bias.

Actually, he was well versed on the subject and a champion of the 1A for most of his later life, while being quite politically active in the area. Go to you tube and look up his appearances in the media and in hearings re: the PRMC and other issues.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Was never into Zappa. I really like his buddy, Captain Beefheart though. He and his "Magic Band" Himself. Great nonsense and good fun.
WORST concert I ever saw was a Frank Zappa concert at the Michigan State Fieldhouse in East Lansing, Michigan in 1975. Wasn't Frank's fault. That place was just NOT designed for music concerts. The acoustics were HORRIBLE. You simply could not hear Frank's voice when he was singing, and his guitar sounded MUFFLED, like he was playing from the inside of a soup can or something. AWFUL. To make it even worse, one guy from my dorm room was a Frank Zappa FREAK, was sitting right in front of me, was on a big-time acid trip for the concert by his all-time favorite guy, and was chanting 'FRANKIE" at the top of his lungs for the whole damned concert. AWFUL. But I like SOME of his recordings well enough. 'Hot Rats' is very jazzy, and I like that.

BEST concert I ever saw was a concert by the Allman Brothers, just a few weeks before Duane Allman died in that motorcycle accident. Whoa, were they a GREAT band. Simply awesome. Ironically enough, that was also in a college fieldhouse, but one with much better acoustics for musical performances, apparently, in Iowa City. Don't know why such a big difference. Maybe in part we just had much better seats? Might have been it, at least in part.....We WERE sitting much closer and in front and center for the Allman Brothers.....