Fresno State Professor Faces Backlash After Barbara Bush Tweets

Oct 2015
ohio
A very kind and empathetic woman she is. Couldn't find a thread on this yet, mods are welcome to merge if there is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2018/04/18/after-calling-barbara-bush-an-amazing-racist-a-professor-taunts-critics-i-will-never-be-fired/?utm_term=.e75e89fe7ae8

“Barbara Bush was a generous and smart and amazing racist who, along with her husband, raised a war criminal,” Randa Jarrar wrote on Twitter on Tuesday evening, according to the Fresno Bee.

Jarrar’s words — and others that she used as she argued with critics for hours during an overnight tweetstorm — sparked a backlash on social media that would soon prompt the university to distance itself from her remarks.

More than 2,000 people had replied to her before she made her Twitter account private, the Bee reported. Some were upset at what they viewed as Jarrar’s incivility about a woman widely regarded as genteel. For others, the sin was more basic: She had spoken ill of the dead.

Jarrar pointed to the comments as an example of “what it’s like to be an Arab American Muslim American woman with some clout online expressing an opinion.”

“Look at the racists going crazy in my mentions right now,” she tweeted.

The writer taunted those attacking her, sharing a contact number that was actually that of Arizona State University’s suicide hotline, and said she was a tenured professor who makes $100,000 a year.

“I will never be fired,” she tweeted.

Many tagged Fresno State and the institution’s president, Joseph Castro, demanding that the professor be fired. Jarrar laughed at them.

“LOL let me help you. You should tag my president @JosephlCastro. What I love about being an American professor is my right to free speech, and what I love about Fresno State is that I always feel protected and at home here,” Jarrar wrote. “GO BULLDOGS!”

On Wednesday, Castro told the Bee that Jarrar’s comments were “beyond free speech. This was disrespectful.”

“A professor with tenure does not have blanket protection to say and do what they wish,” he said. “We are all held accountable for our actions.”

Jarrar did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
In response to the backlash, she tweeted a phone number out claiming it was her own, but in fact it was the Arizona State's suicide hotline. It apparently got flooded with calls about her, and clogged up the lines for the people who are reaching out for help. My question is:

What the fuck is wrong with this sorry excuse for a human being?

Nov 2014
North Carolina
A very kind and empathetic woman she is. Couldn't find a thread on this yet, mods are welcome to merge if there is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2018/04/18/after-calling-barbara-bush-an-amazing-racist-a-professor-taunts-critics-i-will-never-be-fired/?utm_term=.e75e89fe7ae8

In response to the backlash, she tweeted a phone number out claiming it was her own, but in fact it was the Arizona State's suicide hotline. It apparently got flooded with calls about her, and clogged up the lines for the people who are reaching out for help. My question is:

Her timing sucks that is for sure.

I'm not going to defend her comments - as I would agree with you they are pretty despicable. But if she really believes them then I have to admit part of me admires her courage to express her free speech rights so brazenly. And giving her critics a number to call that was the suicide hotline.... lol

I don't think she should be fired or anything like that. Free speech often can be disrespectful - and these comments were made on twitter and not at her place of employment.

Sep 2016
My own world
She is a real piece of shit and if its true that the University can't fire her then there is something wrong with their policy. This was not only disrespectful to the maximum but shows she blames a wife for whatever decisions her husband makes and/or her son. Barbara herself had no power to make any decisions, that is on them. This professor has the same level of crazy as Trump wanting to kill or jail or otherwise punish the family of a terrorist just because they are related (not because of any decisions made on their part).

Crazy in extremes on both sides. She should be removed from her job and Trump should be removed from his as neither can possibly be capable of doing their jobs properly. Freedom of Speech has consquences. If what you say leads your employer to see you as incapable of doing your job properly you should be fired. In both cases Trump and this lady should not be involved in jobs requiring good judgement. Both people with their statements show they do not respect the American rule of law. People are not responsible for crimes of their family.

Last edited:
Nov 2014
North Carolina
She is a real piece of shit and if its true that the University can't fire her then there is something wrong with their policy. This was not only disrespectful to the maximum but shows she blames a wife for whatever decisions her husband makes and/or her son. She herself has no power to make any decisions, that is all on them. This professor has the same level of crazy as Trump wanting to kill or jail the family of a terrorist just because they are related not because of any decisions made on their part.

Crazy in extremes on both sides. She should be removed from her job and Trump should be removed from his as neither can possibly be right in the head.
I don't agree.

People have a right to express themselves in this country. No one should lose their job because they think Babara Bush is a racist who raised a war criminal. She is entitled to her opinion - and we as a country should respect free speech even when we don't agree with it.

What business is it of the university what she says on twitter anyway? What next? The twitter police who go around getting everyone fired when they say something controversial. Sorry but that's not the kind of America I want to live in.

Last edited:
Sep 2016
My own world
I don't agree.

People have a right to express themselves in this country. No one should lose their job because they think Babara Bush is a racist who raised a war criminal. She is entitled to her opinion - and we as a country should respect free speech even when we don't agree with it.

What business is it of the university what she says on twitter anyway? What next? The twitter police who go around getting everyone fired when they say something controversial. Sorry but that's not the kind of America I want to live in.
You are free to say whatever you want and I am free to fire you if I am your employer PERIOD. The is no law that protects people from being fired because they said something the employer didn't like. Some employment contracts say you can only be fired for cause. Most places would consider what this professor wrote "cause" and while she could fight it she would have to file a grievance and hire a lawyer. If I am not mistaken you don't like unions so unless you are going to get the employment laws to change so everyone is covered for cause and define that cause to be an action other than "speech" you will continue to face the consequences of saying what you want. Free speach in America just means you will not be thrown in jail for saying it.

Last edited:
Nov 2014
North Carolina
You are free to say whatever you want and I am free to fire you if I am your employer PERIOD.
Unfortunately yes, that is the case.

I would like to see that changed however.

Protections for free speech should be extended to employment as well. Especially considering how twitter, facebook and other online forms of communication are becoming the modern landscape for political debate and the exchange of ideas in our society.

People should feel free to express themselves without fear of reprisals from their employers. Because free speech doesn't amount to much if everyone is afraid to say anything controversial online because they might lose their jobs.

Last edited:

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I would tend to err on the side of free speech, which includes not being fired for things you say when not in the course and scope of employment.

Also, academic tenure is very important for teachers to have, especially at the university level. I do not mean to say that it is important to them (though of course it is), but it is also important to us. We need educational institutions where the instructors need not be afraid of speaking their points-of-view even in the course and scope of employment. I believe there would be conduct for which tenure could be revoked, but expressing an opinion is not among them.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio

Fresno State chose to award tenure very poorly.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
I would tend to err on the side of free speech, which includes not being fired for things you say when not in the course and scope of employment.

Also, academic tenure is very important for teachers to have, especially at the university level. I do not mean to say that it is important to them (though of course it is), but it is also important to us. We need educational institutions where the instructors need not be afraid of speaking their points-of-view even in the course and scope of employment. I believe there would be conduct for which tenure could be revoked, but expressing an opinion is not among them.
Agree that caution is valid with regard to termination in cases like these.

But there also needs to be a threshold/line of what is acceptable. (Will be subjective by nature.)

Would consider this event as "crossing that line". And the behavior is directly reflecting on the University. If the rumor about the "suicide hotline" number is true that will just be a bonus reason to can her ass.