Full text: Pope Francis’ historic address to Congress

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
The Pope Wants America to Learn From Its Horrific Treatment of Native Americans | Mother Jones

In recent centuries, millions of people came to this land to pursue their dream of building a future in freedom. We, the people of this continent, are not fearful of foreigners, because most of us were once foreigners. I say this to you as the son of immigrants, knowing that so many of you are also descended from immigrants. Tragically, the rights of those who were here long before us were not always respected. For those peoples and their nations, from the heart of American democracy, I wish to reaffirm my highest esteem and appreciation. Those first contacts were often turbulent and violent, but it is difficult to judge the past by the criteria of the present. Nonetheless, when the stranger in our midst appeals to us, we must not repeat the sins and the errors of the past. We must resolve now to live as nobly and as justly as possible, as we educate new generations not to turn their back on our "neighbors" and everything around us. Building a nation calls us to recognize that we must constantly relate to others, rejecting a mindset of hostility in order to adopt one of reciprocal subsidiarity, in a constant effort to do our best. I am confident that we can do this.

RosieS

Former Staff
Mar 2013
Mother Mayo
In Speech to Congress, Pope Francis Says U.S. Should Reject 'Mindset of Hostility' to Immigrants | Gospelherald.com

"Pope Francis told Congress on Thursday that the United States should reject hostility to immigrants and treat them humanely, directly addressing a thorny subject that is dividing the country and stirring debate in the 2016 presidential campaign.
In the first speech by a pope to a U.S. Congress, the Argentine pontiff said the United States "must not repeat the sins and the errors of the past," when dealing with immigrants.

"Building a nation calls us to recognize that we must constantly relate to others, rejecting a mindset of hostility," the 78-year-old Francis told the Republican-dominated legislature."

Regards from Rosie

Jul 2011
Tennessee
The Pope Wants America to Learn From Its Horrific Treatment of Native Americans | Mother Jones

In recent centuries, millions of people came to this land to pursue their dream of building a future in freedom. We, the people of this continent, are not fearful of foreigners, because most of us were once foreigners. I say this to you as the son of immigrants, knowing that so many of you are also descended from immigrants. Tragically, the rights of those who were here long before us were not always respected. For those peoples and their nations, from the heart of American democracy, I wish to reaffirm my highest esteem and appreciation. Those first contacts were often turbulent and violent, but it is difficult to judge the past by the criteria of the present. Nonetheless, when the stranger in our midst appeals to us, we must not repeat the sins and the errors of the past. We must resolve now to live as nobly and as justly as possible, as we educate new generations not to turn their back on our "neighbors" and everything around us. Building a nation calls us to recognize that we must constantly relate to others, rejecting a mindset of hostility in order to adopt one of reciprocal subsidiarity, in a constant effort to do our best. I am confident that we can do this.
In Speech to Congress, Pope Francis Says U.S. Should Reject 'Mindset of Hostility' to Immigrants | Gospelherald.com

"Pope Francis told Congress on Thursday that the United States should reject hostility to immigrants and treat them humanely, directly addressing a thorny subject that is dividing the country and stirring debate in the 2016 presidential campaign.
In the first speech by a pope to a U.S. Congress, the Argentine pontiff said the United States "must not repeat the sins and the errors of the past," when dealing with immigrants.

"Building a nation calls us to recognize that we must constantly relate to others, rejecting a mindset of hostility," the 78-year-old Francis told the Republican-dominated legislature."

Regards from Rosie

where are your opinions? post your opinions, not those from biased media sources.

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
I agree with him. I posted a direct quote. I am in an inordinately good mood after listening to him. Apparently, my big mistake was returning here, after.

Bunch of crabby-asses.

RosieS

Former Staff
Mar 2013
Mother Mayo
where are your opinions? post your opinions, not those from biased media sources.
You said to leave the rhetoric at the door.

So I posted an extract of what the Pope actually said.

Be sure you actually understand what you are asking for before you ask for it.

Regards from Rosie

Bluegrass

Former Staff
Apr 2007
I do not believe in theism (gods), and have no affiliation with a particular religion. However, that is separate from the life philosophy that Jesus taught, and I think Pope Francis is actually a purist to Jesus's basic philosophy, which I largely respect. In this address, like others, he advocates taking action and puts mere "beliefs" and judgement of others on the back burner. I applaud him for doing that.

Sep 2013
On a hill

Regards from Rosie
It is not surprising he would say that.

Leviticus 19:33-34 and 24:22 – When the alien resides with you in your land, you shall not oppress the alien. The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.”

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
I do not believe in theism (gods), and have no affiliation with a particular religion. However, that is separate from the life philosophy that Jesus taught, and I think Pope Francis is actually a purist to Jesus's basic philosophy, which I largely respect. In this address, like others, he advocates taking action and puts mere "beliefs" and judgement of others on the back burner. I applaud him for doing that.
Biggest surprise to me was what pope F1 actually said right after the speech when he spoke at the capitol balcony; he asked for the religious to pray for him, and then he asked for atheists to send him good wishes :)

Last edited: