Funeral for a veteran with no family

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Two days ago.
The Central Texas State Veterans Cemetery is calling for the public’s attendance at an unaccompanied Texas veteran’s funeral.
Air Force Veteran Joseph Walker will be laid to rest Monday -- and no one is expected to attend.
The cemetery said they do not know where his family is and they do not want him to be laid to rest alone, so they are asking the public to attend.
'No veteran should be buried alone': No one expected to attend Texas veteran's funeral

Today.

Jul 2016
DS9
While I commend the actions of all of those involved...

Where were they when this guy was alive and needed a "family"?

There's way too many homeless veterans out there today.

More needs to be done on both the national and local levels.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I attended a funeral for a Jew who died in the area, whose nearest relative was a distant one on the other side of the country who could not attend, but who said the man wanted a Jewish funeral. So we gave him one ... dozens of people in attendance and none of us knew who he was, but we were still family.

I am glad to know a similar thing was done for this family-less veteran. Everyone is connected to someone, somewhere, somehow.

Nicnam

Dec 2013
!
"Mr. Walker served in the Air Force from September 1964 to September 1968, including service in the Vietnam War."

Humans can be amazing! He wasn't alone.....

Rest in Peace Mr. Walker

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
I saw this story earlier. So awesome that so many people showed up.

Despite what you read in the news every day, I still think most people are good people and that story just proves it.