Gas prices soaring in California

May 2013
N Oregon Coast
I do. :) I deliberately left California as soon as I could after living there for five years.
Carpenteria, CA was a fine place to grow up in the 60s & 70s Bob ..

Left in early 90's for Portland.. Not interested in returning, so Ya, I get it.

Reactions: Bad Bob
Mar 2019
Texas
Dayum..

Gasoline prices have spiked in California, soaring well above what most Americans are paying at the pump. In some locations, Californians are paying $5 for a gallon of gas.

A number of refinery outages tightened gas supply in the market. The average price of regular gas in California rose to $4.18 a gallon, the highest level since May 13, 2014, according to the Oil Price Information Service, which gathers data for the AAA.

California's gas prices are the most expensive in the United States: The national average is currently $2.65 a gallon. Most motorists around the country are noticing gas prices declining or stabilizing, which is normal for autumn.

Over the past two weeks, several refineries that supply the West Coast with gasoline had unexpected outages at the same time, which further hampered California's ability to produce fuels. More than other states, California gas prices can sometimes skyrocket, because the state mandates cleaner gas with fewer emissions. That makes California gas cost more to refine, because it's a special oxygenated blend that meets the state's strict air-quality rules. Refineries have to use a specialized process, and only a few refineries are able to make California-approved gas, which makes it harder for the state to import oil.

This is what will happen to the rest of the country if these kooks have their way.

Time to build a wall around this LWNJ paradise

Jan 2019
southeast
Obviously you have no idea how gas prices work in CA

The gas here has always cost more because of the emission standards.

However, that has NOTHING to do with the current spike in prices.

It due to some problems with the refineries.

Derp!!
What is obvious to me is you failed to post this part of the article

More than other states, California gas prices can sometimes skyrocket, because the state mandates cleaner gas with fewer emissions. That makes California gas cost more to refine, because it's a special oxygenated blend that meets the state's strict air-quality rules. Refineries have to use a specialized process, and only a few refineries are able to make California-approved gas, which makes it harder for the state to import oil.

Reactions: MichelleZ
Mar 2019
Texas
What is obvious to me is you failed to post this part of the article

More than other states, California gas prices can sometimes skyrocket, because the state mandates cleaner gas with fewer emissions. That makes California gas cost more to refine, because it's a special oxygenated blend that meets the state's strict air-quality rules. Refineries have to use a specialized process, and only a few refineries are able to make California-approved gas, which makes it harder for the state to import oil.

Well, imagine that! LOL

Reactions: jenniel
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Isnt the electric company out there threatening black outs? We have had our first black outs last summer and it was crazy. Nothing gets done. Very unproductive.