Gay Canadian Skater Eric Radford is Sad That Adam Rippon Has to Deal with a Homophobi

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
Gay Canadian Skater Eric Radford is Sad That Adam Rippon Has to Deal with a Homophobic President
by Andy Towle

"Gay Canadian figure skater Eric Radford said he has received calls and praise from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and feels bad that fellow gay skater Adam Rippon has to deal with the opposite."
"Rippon, who won his first Olympic medal last week, was attacked by Donald Trump Jr. on Tuesday night for speaking out about Vice President Mike Pence’s anti-gay record."
"He added, talking to reporters: “I talked to you about how I felt before the Games. And you know, it’s brought a lot of attention and questions to my other teammates. I don’t want to distract from their Olympic experience and I don’t want my Olympic experience to be about Mike Pence.”

====================================================

What a difference a country makes. Canada's prime minister is cheering its Gay Olympian while America's Oval Office Chief is not. That's sad. This is a time when the focus should be on the Olympics and proudly on the person chosen from this country to go and compete in world-wide competition and not dwell on the sexual orientation of the person. It's too bad the U.S. apparently cannot or will not learn to emulate the way Canadians treasure their country's Olympics competitors, especially when it is a Republican who is in office here.

Nov 2014
North Carolina
Gay Canadian Skater Eric Radford is Sad That Adam Rippon Has to Deal with a Homophobic President
by Andy Towle

====================================================

What a difference a country makes. Canada's prime minister is cheering its Gay Olympian while America's Oval Office Chief is not. That's sad. This is a time when the focus should be on the Olympics and proudly on the person chosen from this country to go and compete in world-wide competition and not dwell on the sexual orientation of the person. It's too bad the U.S. apparently cannot or will not learn to emulate the way Canadians treasure their country's Olympics competitors, especially when it is a Republican who is in office here.
From reading this OP it does not appear that Pence has said anything about this gay athlete has he?

It seems to me that Eric Radford is the one dwelling on the sexual orientation of Adam Rippon as an issue. So my first reaction to this OP is that Eric Radford is the one who needs to stfu. Not Mike Pence.

Last edited:
Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
From reading this OP it does not appear that Pence has said anything about this gay athlete has he? Nor has the President?

It seems to me that Eric Radford is the one dwelling on the sexual orientation of Adam Rippon as an issue. So my first reaction to this OP is that Eric Radford is the one who needs to stfu. Not Mike Pence.
Eric Radford is actually right in what he said. He knows the story. The background of this story, which no doubt due to its length, was not fully presented focuses nonetheless on Pence's known virulent Anti-Gay stance. That is something that Rippon very much dislikes and cannot stand or tolerate and made it known as was his right to do. It would have been quite hypocritical of him to have done otherwise in welcoming Pence with open arms. It is unfortunate that the White House had to choose Pence to go over there knowing there would be some abrasion and bad blood due to his very Anti-Gay position especially when knowing that one of our top Olympian athletes was Gay.

Nov 2014
North Carolina
Eric Radford is actually right in what he said. He knows the story. The background of this story, which no doubt due to its length, was not fully presented focuses nonetheless on Pence's known virulent Anti-Gay stance. That is something that Rippon very much dislikes and cannot stand or tolerate and made it known as was his right to do. It would have been quite hypocritical of him to have done otherwise in welcoming Pence with open arms. It is unfortunate that the White House had to choose Pence to go over there knowing there would be some abrasion and bad blood due to his very Anti-Gay position especially when knowing that one of our top Olympian athletes was Gay.
The point was Pence is not the one dwelling on this athlete's sexual orientation. These skaters are.

Homosexuals now have a right to get married in the United States. So what ever Pence's stance on that issue was in the past (a stance both Obama and Mrs. Clinton once shared I should point out) it's irrelevant now. Why bring it up and try to make an issue out of it?

They are the ones dwelling on this. Not Pence.

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
The point was Pence is not the one dwelling on this athlete's sexual orientation. These skaters are.

Homosexuals now have a right to get married in the United States. So what ever Pence's stance on that issue was in the past (a stance both Obama and Mrs. Clinton once shared I should point out) it's irrelevant now. Why bring it up and try to make an issue out of it?

They are the ones dwelling on this. Not Pence.
You know better than to believe that, Jeremy. Pence's Anti-Gay position clearly has not changed through the years. He has a much greater platform now as VP to continue his stance in that direction as we have seen.

And if skaters are speaking about Pence's position it is because they know his position only too well and are most uncomfortable to see him there. They cannot honor a man who doesn't honor their inherent sexual orientation.

What Pence should do is put country over prejudice first by declaring his support for Rippon and other Gay athletes. That would sure make a difference and would be viewed as something to be welcomed. However, he will not do that anymore than Trump will. That's why other athletes continue to have a problem with both men. They are only human and when they see a leader from their own country go to see them skate they want to feel completely at ease and have that person's full acceptance on their work and not have the knowledge that he does not care about them because they are Gay or Lesbian. Therein lies the problem.

Nov 2008
Washington state
The problem is these Gay athletes want to use their platform to justify their actions. Mike Pence supports them as Olympic athletes, but doesn’t believe their lifestyle is right. He’s kind of spoiling their party

Nov 2014
North Carolina
You know better than to believe that, Jeremy. Pence's Anti-Gay position clearly has not changed through the years. He has a much greater platform now as VP to continue his stance in that direction as we have seen.
I didn't say his positions have changed. But he has said nothing about these skaters nor do I see him out there campaigning to get gay marriage reversed. Far as I can tell he's been largely quiet on the issue since becoming VP.

So again - the only people here dwelling on this guy's sexual orientation are these skaters. Not Pence.

They should just shut up about being gay and skate. They really don't have a good reason to be going after Pence here. This is the kind of grandstanding that turns people off.

Last edited:
Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
I didn't say his positions have changed. But he has said nothing about these skaters nor do I see him out there campaigning to get gay marriage reversed. Far as I can tell he's been largely quiet on the issue since becoming VP.

So again - the only people here dwelling on this guy's sexual orientation are these skaters. Not Pence.

They should just shut up about being gay and skate. They really don't have a good reason to be going after Pence here. This is the kind of grandstanding that turns people off.
Uh, actually no. To come to the defense of homophobia is what actually turns most people off. Today, a majority of American people are accepting of Same-Sex Marriage, including Evangelicals. So, take it from that.

For a moment, a while back, I thought you were more broad-minded. But there you are again with your Pence Defense. I thought you were actually making progress by being more accepting of the LGBT Community. Instead we are finding out that your support is squarely in defending Pence and going against the Gay athletes with your unfounded criticism. So, I stand corrected in that you are not supportive of the Community at all. To be, you would have to quit going against the grain by attacking athletes who are merely trying to protect their own reputation and their friend's as well as who they are and whom they love. They cannot and will not ever go back into the closet again and those who do not accept them for the fine citizens and people that they are can most unfortunately continue to live in the Dark Ages, in Draconian times with Sixteenth Century mentality.

Nov 2014
North Carolina
Uh, actually no. To come to the defense of homophobia is what actually turns most people off. Today, a majority of American people are accepting of Same-Sex Marriage, including Evangelicals. So, take it from that.

For a moment, a while back, I thought you were more broad-minded. But there you are again with your Pence Defense. I thought you were actually making progress by being more accepting of the LGBT Community. Instead we are finding out that your support is squarely in defending Pence and going against the Gay athletes with your unfounded criticism. So, I stand corrected in that you are not supportive of the Community at all. To be, you would have to quit going against the grain by attacking athletes who are merely trying to protect their own reputation and their friend's as well as who they are and whom they love. They cannot and will not ever go back into the closet again and those who do not accept them for the fine citizens and people that they are can most unfortunately continue to live in the Dark Ages, in Draconian times with Sixteenth Century mentality.
Who is defending homophobia? You aren't making any sense.

This is America - and in America people can believe what they want. So what if Pence doesn't believe in gay marriage? Who gives a shit. There is nothing broad-minded about trying to deny people their own beliefs and opinions. That's the opposite of broad-minded in fact.

The law is what matters - and the the law says homosexuals have the right to get married. And I don't see anyone - including Pence - trying to change that. So why even bring up Pence's personal positions? This stinks of pointless grandstanding to me and I"m not even about to defend it.

If Pence had actually singled out these skaters and criticized them for being gay I would have a different opinion on this. But he didn't. This looks to me to be two attention starved athletes trying to stir up shit for publicity. And well, I guess it worked. But spare me the false narrative that Pence was attacking them and they are just defending themselves. That's hog wash.

Last edited: