Gay Couple Trigger Lyft Driver. PDA causes melt-down.

Jul 2014
Border Fence
" I can’t have that in my car. I don’t have that here"

Lyft driver kicks out gay couple mid-ride after back-seat kiss

A gay couple in Indianapolis, Indiana, said they were kicked out of a ride-share vehicle earlier this month for kissing in the backseat.

College students Ben Martella and Alec Jansen were sharing a Lyft to a location a few miles off of Butler University’s campus, but a mile into the ride, after the couple shared a kiss, the Lyft driver ordered them to get out of the car at a red light, they told The Indianapolis Star.

“I’m going to end your ride. I can’t have that in my car. I don’t have that here,” Martella claimed the driver yelled at them at a stoplight.
Lyft driver kicks out gay couple mid-ride after back-seat kiss | Fox News

Nov 2014
North Carolina
" I can’t have that in my car. I don’t have that here"

Lyft driver kicks out gay couple mid-ride after back-seat kiss

Lyft driver kicks out gay couple mid-ride after back-seat kiss | Fox News
The company took the issue seriously and the driver has since been "deactivated".

So this story has a good ending. The driver's behavior wasn't tolerated - and this was in Indiana of all places. So if anything, this story shows just how much progress America has made in a relatively short amount of time when it comes to accepting gays and Lesbians. Discriminating against them can cost you your job - even in a place like Indiana.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

One

Former Staff
Dec 2006
----> X <----
All pda should be banned, regardless of who's doing it.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Yeah, the positive outweighs the negative in this story. The bigot got his way. He kicked out and inconvenienced those he had a little hatred for. But in the grand scheme of things, the company took notice and took the proper action.

Another win for the good guys.

Reactions: 2 people
Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
What those driver guys don't realize is that they're giving their employer, Lyft, a bad name when they pull something like this on the public. But by the company not giving them plenty of pre-training so that they won't act in such a discriminatory manner they're not doing themselves any favors either. Their drivers need some very serious sensitivity training on the rights of passengers especially when Straight, Heterosexual couples are allowed to kiss in the back seat.