Gay Kentucky man loses bid to challenge Rowan County clerk Kim Davis

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
This darling of the left went down in flames even though he raised $200,000 in campaign money from all over the country. Of course, Kim Davis has probably doomed herself to a November loss not due to her refusal to sign same sex marriage licenses but for changing parties. One fact that the left hates to mention is that Kim Davis won her position as a Democrat. She didn't switch parties until after she was jailed for refusing to sign marriage licenses for same sex couples. The county is heavily Democrat and it is likely that she will lose in the fall but one thing is for sure it won't be to the David Ermold, the same sex marriage applicant whom she refused.

Gay Kentucky man loses bid to challenge Rowan County clerk Kim Davis

MOREHEAD, Ky. — A gay man in eastern Kentucky has lost his bid to challenge Republican county clerk Kim Davis, who went to jail three years ago for denying him and others marriage licenses in the aftermath of an historic U.S. Supreme Court decision.

David Ermold sought the Democratic nomination in Tuesday’s primary in Rowan County, Kentucky. He lost to Elwood Caudill in a four-way Democratic primary, despite a campaign that raised more than $200,000 with donations from at least 48 states.

Caudill will face Davis, the religious conservative who said in 2015 that “God’s authority” prevented her from issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples, in November. No one challenged Davis for the Republican nomination.

Ermold’s loss means Davis’ actions will likely be less of an issue in the fall campaign. Most of the other Democratic candidates downplayed the incident, noting it had been resolved by the legislature and citing voter reluctance to relive the experience.

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...nty-clerk-primary-election-results/635263002/

Jul 2014
midwest
This darling of the left went down in flames even though he raised $200,000 in campaign money from all over the country. Of course, Kim Davis has probably doomed herself to a November loss not due to her refusal to sign same sex marriage licenses but for changing parties. One fact that the left hates to mention is that Kim Davis won her position as a Democrat. She didn't switch parties until after she was jailed for refusing to sign marriage licenses for same sex couples. The county is heavily Democrat and it is likely that she will lose in the fall but one thing is for sure it won't be to the David Ermold, the same sex marriage applicant whom she refused.
What were his qualifications for the job?

Besides being a gay man who was denied a marriage license, I mean?

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
What were his qualifications for the job?

Besides being a gay man who was denied a marriage license, I mean?
He didn't have any qualifications for the job other than that. He just wanted to run, in an attempt to get on the November ballot where he could beat Kim then the left could claim victory over religion.

Oct 2013
USA
I suspect he just wanted to make a point in running because, you know, he's gay and the county is republican - contrary to you thinking they are democrats.

No surprise here.

Jul 2014
midwest
I suspect he just wanted to make a point in running because, you know, he's gay and the county is republican - contrary to you thinking they are democrats.

No surprise here.
Or maybe he just wanted to raise money, and get his 15 minutes of fame.

Seems he was well qualified to do both those things.

I wonder if he ever really thought he had a chance???

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia

No surprise here.
Actually, you are incorrect. The county is heavily Democrat. Kim Davis was elected as a Democrat. Looking at the Secretary of State's office information, as of 5/1/2018 there are 9,127 registered Democrats in the county and only 4,549 registered Republicans in the county. Yes, I know Hillary R Clinton lost the county but she actually only carried two counties in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

(Note - The county is Rowan County which is county number 103)

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
The real joke is the idea that there are tons of really technical qualifications to be the clerk of Rowan County, Kentucky. A high school education and being organized is plenty. It's a small county. His candidacy was just a protest, which the county is tired of hearing about—it's also why she's not going to be re-elected. People resent someone refusing to do their job who insists on keeping it. Most people get fired for that, and she will too when her term ends.

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
Or maybe he just wanted to raise money, and get his 15 minutes of fame.

Seems he was well qualified to do both those things.

I wonder if he ever really thought he had a chance???
He raised $200,000 from 48 states. That's a lot of money for a county clerk's primary election. Kim Davis is still likely to lose in November. She has switched parties and this is a Democrat controlled county.