Gender roles in advertising

Nov 2015
UK
Philadelphia and VW ads banned over gender rules

Television advertisements from US food giant Mondelez and German carmaker Volkswagen are the first to be banned under new UK gender stereotyping rules.

A ban on ads featuring "harmful gender stereotypes" or those which are likely to cause "serious or widespread offence" came into force in June.

The first banned ad, for Philadelphia cheese, showed two fathers leaving a baby on a restaurant conveyor belt.

The other, VW ad, showed men being adventurous as a woman sat by a pram.

The craziness continues. One advert received 3 complaints so it was pulled. We may be close to the stage where it's best not to have people in adverts.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
I've worked with advertisers and marketers for years. What I've come to understand is that these people have a very savvy understanding of social nature, but with the intent of subverting and exploiting people into believing something that is not true, or unable to be proven, or that they hear you and stand by your cause. I see many ads based on social stigmas and dialogs... narratives if you will.

Let's take Nike for instance.
When people see these ads they think that the company is on board with their plight, issue, or dialog.
But the truth is they do not give a single care about societal issues. They just want to sell you a pair of shoes.

Let's take Gillette as another example.
Their gender roles dialog put men on the platter, as if we were all physically, sexually and mentally abusing people because SOME men have.
Truth is, they do not give 2 shits about the #MeToo movement. They wanted you to buy disposable razors.

Jun 2014
United States
I've worked with advertisers and marketers for years. What I've come to understand is that these people have a very savvy understanding of social nature, but with the intent of subverting and exploiting people into believing something that is not true, or unable to be proven, or that they hear you and stand by your cause. I see many ads based on social stigmas and dialogs... narratives if you will.

Let's take Nike for instance.
When people see these ads they think that the company is on board with their plight, issue, or dialog.
But the truth is they do not give a single care about societal issues. They just want to sell you a pair of shoes.

Let's take Gillette as another example.
Their gender roles dialog put men on the platter, as if we were all physically, sexually and mentally abusing people because SOME men have.
Truth is, they do not give 2 shits about the #MeToo movement. They wanted you to buy disposable razors.

I haven't seen the Gillette commercials. Did they really portray men as "all physically, sexually and mentally abusing people", or are you merely being hyperbolic for dramatic effect?

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Philadelphia and VW ads banned over gender rules

Television advertisements from US food giant Mondelez and German carmaker Volkswagen are the first to be banned under new UK gender stereotyping rules.

A ban on ads featuring "harmful gender stereotypes" or those which are likely to cause "serious or widespread offence" came into force in June.

The first banned ad, for Philadelphia cheese, showed two fathers leaving a baby on a restaurant conveyor belt.

The other, VW ad, showed men being adventurous as a woman sat by a pram.

The craziness continues. One advert received 3 complaints so it was pulled. We may be close to the stage where it's best not to have people in adverts.

I guess consumers are complaining.

What is more free-market driven than advertising?