Gendercide

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
It doesn't add up because it's bullshit.
No, no... Let's be fair and give Fishy a chance to account for this clear discrepancy. Either the 90% number is wrong, and is actually closer to 50% ... or a LOT of pro-life women are making the choice to abort their fetuses.

Dec 2006
In the Witness Protection Program
No, no... Let's be fair and give Fishy a chance to account for this clear discrepancy. Either the 90% number is wrong, and is actually closer to 50% ... or a LOT of pro-life women are making the choice to abort their fetuses.
It's not even true that 90% of abortions are because of Down's Syndrome since most abortions are performed well before that test would even be administered. And how many women out there are like me and didn't even bother to have that test performed?

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
It's not even true that 90% of abortions are because of Down's Syndrome since most abortions are performed well before that test would even be administered. And how many women out there are like me and didn't even bother to have that test performed?
I don't think that's what Fishy's saying - If I understand him correctly, he's saying that of those mothers who are tested, and learn that their fetus has DS, 90% choose to have the fetus aborted.

Dec 2006
In the Witness Protection Program
I don't think that's what Fishy's saying - If I understand him correctly, he's saying that of those mothers who are tested, and learn that their fetus has DS, 90% choose to have the fetus aborted.
Exactly - either way, it's still bullshit.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Not my place to say. However, your statistic bears some critical thinking:

"Did You Know? 90% of Babies With Down Syndrome are Aborted"

How does this statistic reconcile with the percentage of women who call themselves "pro-life?" Assuming that pro-life women and pro-choice women are equally likely to have a DS child, how is it possible that 90% of all babies with DS are aborted?

Unless, of course, many of those who call themselves "pro-life" aren't being completely truthful about their beliefs. If this is the case, it would seem that pro-choice people outnumber pro-lifers by a considerable margin.
[MENTION=10776]Fishy[/MENTION] - I'm keen to hear how you reconcile the pro-life claims described above. Are you planning to respond? Or do you plan to disappear for a few more months, and then post more dubious statistics?

May 2011
Assuming that pro-life women and pro-choice women are equally likely to have a DS child,
Why do you make that assumption?

You know older women are more likely to have a Down syndrome child and I think older women who have children late in life would be less likely to be prolife.

Also it's likely that women who make a point of getting this test would be more likely to be pro-abortion.

Last edited:
May 2011
Exactly - either way, it's still bullshit.
Why do you say this study is mistaken: Termination rates after prenatal diagnosis of D... [Prenat Diagn. 1999] - PubMed - NCBI

Some statistics from the U.K.:

17,983 Abortions of Disabled, Down Syndrome Babies in UK, Parents Face Psychological Fallout

Babies With Down Syndrome Are Aborted in the UK at Alarming Rates

I'm sure we all condemn this mass slaughter of the handicapped. Can we agree that these handicapped unborn babies deserve some protection?

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Why do you make that assumption? You know older women are more likely to have a Down syndrome child and I think older women who have children late in life would be less likely to be prolife.
What is the basis for this rationale? It sounds like you're saying that nearly ALL women (90%) discovered to be carrying DS children are pro-choice.

That's an enormous statistical stretch that has never been suggested by anyone else. Can you back it up with ... something?

Last edited:
May 2011
What is the basis for this rationale? It sounds like you're saying that nearly ALL women (90%) discovered to be carrying DS children are pro-choice.
Women who make a point of getting Down syndrome diagnosis would be far more likely to act on it don't you think?

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Women who make a point of getting Down syndrome diagnosis would be far more likely to act on it don't you think?
Of course. But I do not believe there's a significant correlation between propensity for DS diagnoses, and stances on abortion.

You suggested that older mothers are more likely to be pro-choice because they "waited to have children." Unfortunately, this doesn't hold, since the mother of a DS fetus may have several children already. Furthermore, younger mothers are more likely to be pro-choice, and older mothers are more likely to be pro-life. (Gallup)

Therefore, I maintain that if 90% of DS diagnoses result in abortions, then an enormous percentage of "pro-life" women are procuring abortions in response to the diagnosis. My question is ... why? Why are all these pro-life women choosing to procure abortions?

Last edited: