Genetic testing, Yay or Nay?

Nov 2010
https://www.23andme.com/

Now that genetic testing is really cheap, would you want to have yours checked? 23 and me offers it for $99, give you up to 240 traits, if new data comes out with respect to new gene information, they can update it. You can also get other stuff like ethnic information, etc.

I just bought it as gifts for my mom and brother, and I will definitely have it done. Think its a great gift idea for the person that can buy whatever they want.

So, would you want to know or not? Would you want to know if you had, say, a gene for early onset Alzhiemers disease, in which there is currently no cure? There are definite pros and cons.

I don't think the 23 and me will tell you information like that, or maybe they give you option to know that or not.

I think its pretty awesome, and how cheap (faster than computer technology develops, which is pretty dame fast itself) it is, its soon likely we can have our entire genome sequenced, and this could lead to personalized medicine. Still probably 10-20 years out before the knowledge of how genes interact with medicine is figured out, but its definitely will be the future.

There already is certain aspects of this, like if you have a cancer that tests positive for HER2, you can get Herceptin and its very effective. Other examples as well

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
I'm interested... Is there any chance you could scan the results, anonymize (blur out) anything potentially identifiable, and upload the scan? I'd like to know exactly what one gets for $99.

Nov 2010
I'm interested... Is there any chance you could scan the results, anonymize (blur out) anything potentially identifiable, and upload the scan? I'd like to know exactly what one gets for $99.
Well, its not for me so I won't have it but can ask my brother or mom to let me see. Plus, it could be a while, takes 4-6 weeks to get results once you send it in

Rorschach

Former Staff
Aug 2012
america
I will likely do that with Smithsonian, or National Geographic, as I am really interested in where my Bloodline comes from.

We area almost positive that our ancestors were here when the Revolution began (on my father's side. On my mother's side, it seems we may be Scottish, but, her name is very difficult to track)

I think it would be cool.

I always allow any left over blood from my labe, to be used for genetic testing. Hell, they ain't going to put it back in, and, who knows...maybe they will grow an immensly good-looking, super-intelligent Clone of me.....or a mutant.

Whatever the case, I;m not overly worried about my DNA signature being out there, as I do not have any intentions of leaving it around a crime scene any time soon.....

Aug 2012
Greenridge Free State
I think Nat Geo has a $99 offer too.

Aug 2013
Nowhere
Genetic testing has a lot of benefits. It can tell you what you're susceptible to in later life so you can prepare to combat any possible problems.

May 2013
Not on this forum anymore
I would if I wasn't doubtful of its reliability. At the moment it is very limited, and has a too high margin of error for me to be comfortable with.