George Orwell Predicted Donald Trump

Jan 2016
Colorado
In his novel 1984----which I need to re-read!-----George Orwell wrote the following:

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

A few weeks ago, Donald Trump said this:

"Just remember, what you're reading and what you are seeing is not what's happening."

Pretty darned eerie similarity, no?

Apr 2011
My mother's womb, of course.
In his novel 1984----which I need to re-read!-----George Orwell wrote the following:

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

"Just remember, what you're reading and what you are seeing is not what's happening."

Orwell was a brainy guy. His essay, Politics and the English Language inspires me as an English teacher to this very day.

Jan 2016
Colorado
I'm just wondering if anyone has checked in with Hari Seldon lately.
By my possibly imperfect understanding of the Asimovian chronology, Hari is not scheduled to show up for another 14,000 years or so, yet. But yes, this certainly feels like a Seldon crisis!

Dec 2006
required field
[video=youtube;VsxQTvLh_Y4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsxQTvLh_Y4[/video]

There is learning, there is understanding, there is acceptance.

Maybe we could televise
At the Ministry of Love
Trying to get a fix but
You don't know where it hits from above
Hanging out with Winston
Keep waiting at the gate
Call your self fearless, here's your
Enemy of the State

And they get you when you're low
And the Thought Police they know
Like it's 1984
And the big screen it won't go
But it's not some TV show
No, it's 1984

Working for The Party
No one's having fun
Everybody hurts
When they come out of the Room 101
Maybe we could stop a while
Take a break from all the pols
We could start a revolution, a movement
A Ministry of Truth, of Youth

Don't get so loco
Don't get so crazy, baby
Don't get so difficult

There is learning, there is understanding, there is acceptance.

Sep 2013
On a hill

You can buy a copy at Costco.

Jan 2016
Colorado
You can buy a copy at Costco.
No need. I have a beautiful Folio Society edition of Orwell's book, just waiting for me to pick it up and read. I just happen to have so many other books I'm currently reading. I had this bad habit of reading ten books simultaneously, and I'm working on breaking that habit, now that I've retired. Going to knock them off one by one, from now on. So it will be a while before I get to 1984 again.

Jan 2014
south

yeah. I've read the same two books as you did by Orwell in 1960 when I was still in high school. maybe that, combined with Mad Magazine corrupted me - but who knows. I started noticing signs of "1984" around the mid/late 1960"s, although just an insidious start and well hidden. they have continued at the more shrouded ideology until now. the shroud is now off. now, it's become blatant.

Helena

Former Staff
Sep 2007
Maybe my user title will provide a clue.
I've only ever read Animal Farm and 1984. I need to read more of his political essays. Yes, a brainy guy, without a doubt.
I know I've said this here before, but there's so much more to Orwell than just those two (great) books and even more than his (brilliant) essays. I recommend Keep the Aspidistra Flying, Down and Out in Paris and London, Burmese Days and A Clergyman's Daughter, but I also feel like you basically can't go wrong with Orwell.