George washington mural to be destroyed.

Jan 2007
They’ve voted to spend close to $1 million to destroy an important work by a major muralist (who was a Trotskyite).
Who are Alison Collins, Faauuga Moliga, Mark Sanchez, Stevon Cook, Jenny Lam, Rachel Norton, and Gabriela Lopez? For starters, they’re the seven members of the Board of Education in San Francisco. These people just voted unanimously to destroy important 80-year-old wall murals in a public high school because they show George Washington, a dead Indian, and slaves. The murals, some said, glorify racism, genocide, Manifest Destiny, colonization, and white supremacy.

Victor Arnautoff (1896–1979) painted the 13 panel murals — covering 1,600 square feet — in 1936 for the just-built George Washington High School. They depict the life of Washington. They’re well done. Arnautoff was one of the best muralists employed by the Works Progress Administration. The WPA hired artists during the depth of the Depression to decorate public buildings. After he worked with the Mexican muralist Diego Rivera, he painted murals throughout America.San Francisco Board of Education Votes to Destroy George Washington Murals | National Review

Sep 2012
California
Want to see the mural?

life of george washington mural arnautoff - Yahoo Search Results Image Search Results

While it seems like the mural described his history as a land speculator and Indian killer accurately, surely the school can find a more appropriate message for a mural about the man then this one. On one side is history, bloody and cruel as it was. On the other side is legend, cleaned up and ready for mass consumption. Which is it? The school could have left the mural intact but described accurately so that the mythology of Washington could be countered with reality. But that would upset the patriots whose idea of history lies somewhere between a fairy tale and mom's biscuits and gravy. So they missed an opportunity to teach history accurately by cowing into the hurt feelings of some. Were I an Indian, I would look at this and say to all, this is what really happened. But it looks like some just want to ignore history and live in a cocoon.

Last edited:
Jun 2014
United States
I personally have no problem with the mural remaining intact. It is known that George Washington was a racist, so why attempt to whitewash that simple fact? Sounds like the school board is kowtowing to pressure to avoid having an established truth reflected in an artwork. That said, it's their property, so it's their decision.

Jan 2007
I personally have no problem with the mural remaining intact. It is known that George Washington was a racist, so why attempt to whitewash that simple fact? Sounds like the school board is kowtowing to pressure to avoid having an established truth reflected in an artwork. That said, it's their property, so it's their decision.

Giving in to the offended mobs. They can do what they want . Another bumper crop of wusses.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
I was outraged until I read the description.

It's got Washington, a dead Indian and a slave?

Uh... yeah.... Obviously that's not suitable for a school.

Definitely should be preserved somewhere though. I hope cooler heads prevail.