Georgia City Councilman Resigns After Claiming Interracial Marriage Is Wrong

Apr 2014
The liberal commie infested, queer loving north ea
I would not have doubted that people like this still exist. What is shocking is that a person in a position of power and public trust believed that he could say this out loud and actually get away with it!

Bible Belt Racism: A Georgia city councilman has resigned after publicly opposing interracial marriage because of his sincerely held Christian beliefs.

Earlier this year Hoschton City Councilman Jim Cleveland defended his mayor’s decision to discriminate against a black man by citing his sincerely held Christian beliefs and his opposition to interracial marriage.

At the time, Councilman Cleveland explained that he is a Christian, and as a Christian, he has a problem with “race mixing.”
Someone should point out to him that the vast majority of Christians would find this belief revolting. The good news is:

After making headlines for his openly racist claim, Cleveland was faced with mounting opposition and a recall election next month, and so decided to resign rather than fact the public humiliation of a recall.

Mar 2019
In Sunday School with Hognoxious
I believe he's wrong in his statement and beliefs. It is not wrong to marry someone of another race.

But I don't think he should necessarily have to resign if he believes that. There are tons of people (of every race) across this world that believe you should marry within your race.

Reactions: Puzzling Evidence
Apr 2014
I believe he's wrong in his statement and beliefs. It is not wrong to marry someone of another race.

But I don't think he should necessarily have to resign if he believes that. There are tons of people (of every race) across this world that believe you should marry within your race.
He represents a multicultural community comprised of people of many different racial backgrounds and beliefs. As a public official, he must represent each and every one of his constituents. His remarks have to potential of marginalizing and intimidating people in that community. He needs to keep his bizarre and out dated views to himself. You are to be commended for not agreeing with him kid, but we can't have bigots like that in public office.

Mar 2019
He represents a multicultural community comprised of people of many different racial backgrounds and beliefs. As a public official, he must represent each and every one of his constituents. His remarks have to potential of marginalizing and intimidating people in that community. He needs to keep his bizarre and out dated views to himself. You are to be commended for not agreeing with him kid, but we can't have bigots like that in public office.
I don't know that I'd call that belief "bizarre." It's very common. Like I said, every race on the planet has tons of people that believe you should marry within your race.

I don't think it's a deal breaker for having a good public official or not. There are tons of people that believe in only marrying within your race, and that includes politicians in office right now.

Apr 2014
I don't know that I'd call that belief "bizarre." It's very common. Like I said, every race on the planet has tons of people that believe you should marry within your race.

I don't think it's a deal breaker for having a good public official or not. There are tons of people that believe in only marrying within your race, and that includes politicians in office right now.
It's very common? Come on kid? Maybe it is common in the bubble that you live in. In any case, regardless, he is supposed to be a public servant for all of the people. In addition, no one has the right to dictate to others how they should live and who they can marry based on their religious beliefs or any beliefs.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto

When you are in public office, you should keep your personal beliefs to yourself IMHO

Mar 2019
It's very common? Come on kid? Maybe it is common in the bubble that you live in. In any case, regardless, he is supposed to be a public servant for all of the people. In addition, no one has the right to dictate to others how they should live and who they can marry based on their religious beliefs or any beliefs.
I don't think this councilman has the authority to enforce what race people marry.

Apr 2014
When you are in public office, you should keep your personal beliefs to yourself IMHO
Thank you. His political career needed to be nipped in the bud. You can be sure if scum like this got into higher office, he would be bad news for minorities. I wonder how many of the black friends and associates that he claimed to have are still speaking to him after this came out. It'd not just marriage. He supported the mayors racism regarding jobs

Mar 2019
It's very common? Come on kid? Maybe it is common in the bubble that you live in.
It's common everywhere. Nicki Minaj Blast Kanye West For "Marrying a White Girl"

"Successful black men marrying white women is something we’ve all noticed. It seems like as soon as a black man becomes successful the first thing he does is find a white woman to marry. Well, it appears Nicki Minaj is fed up with it and tired of being quiet about it.

In a recent interview with Marie Claire Nicki had a few choice words for Kanye West and other black men that run off and marry white women the moment they become successful. Here’s Nicki’s comment:

“I’m so tired of black women feeling that when our men get rich, they’re going to leave them for a woman of a different race.
It wasn’t funny when Kanye said [in Gold Digger], ‘When he get on, he’ll leave your a** for a white girl’, and Kanye happens to be with a white girl now. It wasn’t funny when he said it; it was the f***ing truth.”

Reactions: The Man