German Shepherds trained to stop active shooters

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
Former SEAL Trains Cloned K-9s to Take Down School Shooters

Starting in Minnesota. I think his heart is in the right place. Not sure how effective it will be, and how people will react when a dog is inevitably shot in the line of duty.

Or if a dog attacks a student.

A former Navy SEAL is training K-9s to attack school shooters. The dogs run toward the sound of gunfire, aren't distracted by people fleeing and can take down the shooter.

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA

Starting in Minnesota. I think his heart is in the right place. Not sure how effective it will be, and how people will react when a dog is inevitably shot in the line of duty.

A former Navy SEAL is training K-9s to attack school shooters. The dogs run toward the sound of gunfire, aren't distracted by people fleeing and can take down the shooter.
Much as I love and adore dogs if they can help people from being shot, I think this is a very good idea. Would have come in "handy" so to speak yesterday in Philly.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
I think this is an excellent idea and has been talked about for a good while now.

If someone has to die in these shootings, hopefully it will only be the person/animal that is there to stop it. Not kids. At least trained professionals and K9 have a fighting chance.

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
I think this is an excellent idea and has been talked about for a good while now.

If someone has to die in these shootings, hopefully it will only be the person/animal that is there to stop it. Not kids. At least trained professionals and K9 have a fighting chance.
They are very smart dogs. But can they tell the difference between a plainclothes cop firing a weapon and a madman firing the same type of weapon and dressed pretty much the same way?

Reactions: NightSwimmer

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
They are very smart dogs. But can they tell the difference between a plainclothes cop firing a weapon and a madman firing the same type of weapon and dressed pretty much the same way?
Watch the video or read the article.

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
Watch the video or read the article.
Just did, as I thought.
It will ONLY work in situations and/or environments where the terrorist/madman is the ONLY person with a firearm. The dog attacks ANY person firing a weapon.
The guy directly addresses the question of the dog attacking a policeman by saying almost every time the shooting incident is over BEFORE the cops arrive.

However, a very good idea, but ONLY in very specific circumstances & environments.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
Just did, as I thought.
It will ONLY work in situations and/or environments where the terrorist/madman is the ONLY person with a firearm. The dog attacks ANY person firing a weapon.
The guy directly addresses the question of the dog attacking a policeman by saying almost every time the shooting incident is over BEFORE the cops arrive.

However, a very good idea, but ONLY in very specific circumstances & environments.
Your right about the incident being over before the cops arrive.

That is why they want to put these K9s and handlers at the schools.

I graduated high school in 1995 and we had a police station at our school with 7 Sheriffs.

Nov 2014
North Carolina

If it's a entire pack of dogs maybe this can work.

Otherwise, the shooter would just shoot the dog. Obviously. But if you have like a half dozen dogs they might could overwhelm an assailant. Sucks to be the dogs though....

Reactions: The Man
Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
Your right about the incident being over before the cops arrive.

That is why they want to put these K9s and handlers at the schools.

I graduated high school in 1995 and we had a police station at our school with 7 Sheriffs.
You want to get rid of cops/security guards in schools and replace them with a dog & it's handler???

Reactions: The Man