Gibbs: Liberals Who Compare Obama to Bush on Drugs

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
The White House is simmering with anger at criticism from liberals who say President Obama is more concerned with deal-making than ideological purity.

During an interview with The Hill in his West Wing office, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs blasted liberal naysayers, whom he said would never regard anything the president did as good enough.

“I hear these people saying he’s like George Bush. Those people ought to be drug tested,” Gibbs said.

“I mean, it’s crazy.”

The press secretary dismissed the “professional left” in terms very similar to those used by their opponents on the ideological right, saying, “They will be satisfied when we have Canadian healthcare and we’ve eliminated the Pentagon. That’s not reality.”

Of those who complain that Obama caved to centrists on issues such as healthcare reform, Gibbs said: “They wouldn’t be satisfied if Dennis Kucinich was president.”

The White House, constantly under fire from expected enemies on the right, has been frustrated by nightly attacks on cable news shows catering to the left, where Obama and top lieutenants like Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel have been excoriated for abandoning the public option in healthcare reform; for not moving faster to close the prison at Guantánamo Bay; and for failing, so far, to end the ban on gays serving openly in the military.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/113431-white-house-unloads-on-professional-left
Alienating and attacking people who voted for you, who are upset simply because you haven't done the things you promised can usually be considered a really bad move. Of course this is coming from someone who didn't vote for you, Mr. President, so maybe you don't care, or wouldn't care in any case. I don't know.

That's the problem. The people who are most inclined to vote for you and your party don't know if you care about what they think. Rants like this from Gibbs don't help and I think demonstrate one of the key problems that has been plaguing this administration from day one... the simple failure to realize that no matter what it does, most conservatives, being Republican partisans, will not support it. Ever. The GOP leadership has at this point gone all in on the likelihood that their base is so enthused and will turn out in such numbers that no matter how many pragmatic liberals and moderates they piss off, they'll still come out on top. They are not open to bi-partisanship.

The administration's initiatives and policies should stop being compromised in the name of attempting to win Republican votes. It is and probably always has been a complete waste of time. The President's political capital with Republicans, what little he had, has been spent. If the moderate GOP is truly moderate, they should get behind much of what the President wants to do as a natural process, and the administration, if it wants to effectively govern, should not bend over backwards to try to court them. Doing this has only resulted in it having to gut their major policy initiatives that have passed and postpone everything else, to no end whatsoever as the GOP still operates on the platform of throwing it all out.

Mr. President, it is time to go on the offensive, get whatever can be done, done before election day. Show your base that you care about what they think, or you're going to hit with hard rocks from every direction.

Dec 2006
In the Witness Protection Program
Gibbs is a moron. He really is a terrible WH Press Secretary. CJ did a much better job and should be hired immediately.

Dec 2007
Middle of nowhere Arkansas
Alienating and attacking people who voted for you, who are upset simply because you haven't done the things you promised can usually be considered a really bad move. Of course this is coming from someone who didn't vote for you, Mr. President, so maybe you don't care, or wouldn't care in any case. I don't know.

That's the problem. The people who are most inclined to vote for you and your party don't know if you care about what they think. Rants like this from Gibbs don't help and I think demonstrate one of the key problems that has been plaguing this administration from day one... the simple failure to realize that no matter what it does, most conservatives, being Republican partisans, will not support it. Ever. The GOP leadership has at this point gone all in on the likelihood that their base is so enthused and will turn out in such numbers that no matter how many pragmatic liberals and moderates they piss off, they'll still come out on top. They are not open to bi-partisanship.

The administration's initiatives and policies should stop being compromised in the name of attempting to win Republican votes. It is and probably always has been a complete waste of time. The President's political capital with Republicans, what little he had, has been spent. If the moderate GOP is truly moderate, they should get behind much of what the President wants to do as a natural process, and the administration, if it wants to effectively govern, should not bend over backwards to try to court them. Doing this has only resulted in it having to gut their major policy initiatives that have passed and postpone everything else, to no end whatsoever as the GOP still operates on the platform of throwing it all out.

Mr. President, it is time to go on the offensive, get whatever can be done, done before election day. Show your base that you care about what they think, or you're going to hit with hard rocks from every direction.
Apparently it's not just american conservatives that aren't "bi-partisan." ;)

Dec 2007
Gibbs is a moron. He really is a terrible WH Press Secretary. CJ did a much better job and should be hired immediately.
Whatever else he is he's a "company man." I have to wonder, just why is it the extreme left of the democratic party, which just happens to own the democratic party, is so "blind" to the wants and wishes of the majority of the american people. Just why is that?

Dec 2006
Whatever else he is he's a "company man." I have to wonder, just why is it the extreme left of the democratic party, which just happens to own the democratic party, is so "blind" to the wants and wishes of the majority of the american people. Just why is that?
The extreme left does not "own" the democratic party.

Jul 2011
To Mr. Gibbs, I would say...we all have our crosses to bear. Your's is that you will never be able to satisfy the extreme left of your party.

To Singularity, I would say...your solution would result in the Democrats losing what little support from the majority of Americans they have left.

Dec 2006
To Mr. Gibbs, I would say...we all have our crosses to bear. Your's is that you will never be able to satisfy the extreme left of your party.

To Singularity, I would say...your solution would result in the Democrats losing what little support from the majority of Americans they have left.
And the rights' cross to bear is that the extreme right will never be satisfied, particularly the extreme religious right. Gibbs's problem is that he should have kept his mouth shut.

Aug 2010
President Obama hasn't done much that is that far from the actions taken by President Bush. Infact, in terms of major policy actions, Obama is Bush with some possible pseudo-Canadian Healthcare and darker skin.

Dec 2007
President Obama hasn't done much that is that far from the actions taken by President Bush. Infact, in terms of major policy actions, Obama is Bush with some possible pseudo-Canadian Healthcare and darker skin.
I couldn't disagree with you more.

Dec 2007
The extreme left does not "own" the democratic party.
I have to disagree. Candidate obama was the political left. If he changed his policies as the president it was simply because circumstances dictated such. Much of the agenda of the professional left simply don't relate to real world needs. This party is owned.