Gingrich: White Americans dont understand being black in America

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said Friday that "normal, white Americans" don't understand "being black in America."

"It took me a long time, and a number of people talking to me through the years, to get a sense of this: If you are a normal, white American, the truth is you don't understand being black in America and you instinctively under-estimate the level of discrimination and the level of additional risk," he said Friday on CNN Political Commentator Van Jones' Facebook Live stream."

"It is more dangerous to be black in America," he said. "It is more dangerous in that they are substantially more likely to end up in a situation where the police don't respect you and you could easily get killed. White parents do not have to teach their children how to interact with police the way black parents do. And sometimes for whites it difficult to appreciate how real that is and how it's an everyday danger."

Newt Gingrich: 'Normal, white Americans ... don't understand being black in America' - CNNPolitics.com

Rorschach

Former Staff
Aug 2012
america
May parents really did not have to teach me NOT to attack police officers.

My old man DID tell me, however, that if I am confronted by the Police, to do exactly what they say, don't "reach" for anything, and to make certain THEY are at ease, even if they rough you up.

(He also warned be about "running" from the police, at any age: "No matter how fast you are, no matter how fast your car is....they ain't faster than a Radio Wave....")

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

My old man DID tell me, however, that if I am confronted by the Police, to do exactly what they say, don't "reach" for anything, and to make certain THEY are at ease, even if they rough you up.

(He also warned be about "running" from the police, at any age: "No matter how fast you are, no matter how fast your car is....they ain't faster than a Radio Wave....")
For all the good that did Philando Castile.

Jul 2015
Florida

They didn't have to teach you HOW TO BEHAVE in front police when you were coming out of a grocery store or driving home from school or being in the wrong neighborhood--EVEN IF IT WAS YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD. Doing something WRONG was not the criterion for being harassed. Newt was right--you just proved it in spades!

Last edited:
Jul 2006
Where Northern Exposure meets the Village People

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Black Man Shot By White Cop After Reaching For License Awarded $285k | Bossip

And that guy too ^^^^

A black South Carolina man who was shot by a white police officer after reaching for his wallet following instruction from the officer to get his license has been awarded $285,000 in settlement funds.
I saw a movie and there was a scene where some bank robbers go into a bank and scream "Everyone freeze! Get down on the floor!" And an old man asks them, "Do you want us to freeze or do you want us to get on the floor? We can't do both." It was funny back then. But when a cop actually does that to someone, not so much.

Crusher

Former Staff
Aug 2011
Heaven Above
I had that talk with my Dad more than once.

You do what the police tell you to do AND you do it IMMEDIATELY.

I watched both those videos and they are beyond troubling. I feel for the families. Trained police should be better than that.

I will say, each case should be judged separately.