Girl Scouts Return $100,000 to Anti-Transgender Donor: ''We Won't Exclude Any Girl''

jacobfitcher

Nov 2014
Canada
Reactions: 1 person
Jan 2012
Vacaville, CA
Yes, I suspect it is a stunt. In the right-wing blogosphere, the Girl Scouts are already considered "leftist feminists" so it seems unlikely that an anti-transgender right-winger would be giving money to the Girl Scouts anyway. It would be like a right-winger donating money to the ACLU on the condition the organization doesn't defend Muslim rights. It just doesn't add up.

Dec 2006
required field
Girl Scouts Return $100,000 to Anti-Transgender Donor: ''We Won't Exclude Any Girl'' | Comcast
I was thinking this...it's possible this is just a PR-boosting stunt to raise a hundred grand from the pockets of well-doing LGBT supporters in the immediate wake of the Supreme Court's enormous rallying verdict.
How do you like this idea?
It's possible. I admit, the idea had already crossed my mind earlier today that it might be a scam in the wake of the "relentlessly gay yard" thing. I don't think that one has been definitely proven one way or the other.

I've been trying to trace this one, and all the articles I've seen so far reference this article as their source:

Girl Scouts Looking for $100K After Donor Says They Can't Use Gift for Transgender Girls | Seattle News | Seattle Met

Now according to the article, the donation came earlier this spring, and the letter asking them to promise they wouldn't use it on transgender scouts came in late May. I'm willing to extend cautious credence to their claims, though the timing is a little strange, not mentioning this until over a month later? I dunno. I really hope it doesn't turn out to be false. :smiley-shrug:

A $50,000 donation is cause for celebration at the Queen Anne offices of the Girl Scouts of Western Washington. “We have these little clapper thingies, and the clappers go mad when we get that kind of gift,” says the council’s CEO, Megan Ferland. So when Ferland came back to the office earlier this spring and announced that she’d just landed a $100,000 donation, the place went mad. Not only did it represent nearly a quarter of the council’s annual fundraising goal, it would pay to send 500 girls to camp. “We were thrilled,” Ferland says.

Except there was a catch. In late May, as news of Caitlyn Jenner’s transition was blowing up your Facebook news feed, she received a letter from the donor with a brief request: Please guarantee that our gift will not be used to support transgender girls. If you can’t, please return the money.

Reactions: 2 people
Dec 2006
required field
Yes, I suspect it is a stunt. In the right-wing blogosphere, the Girl Scouts are already considered "leftist feminists" so it seems unlikely that an anti-transgender right-winger would be giving money to the Girl Scouts anyway. It would be like a right-winger donating money to the ACLU on the condition the organization doesn't defend Muslim rights. It just doesn't add up.
Right-wingers aren't the only ones who are anti-transgender. Plenty of left-wingers are, too.

Dec 2006
required field
Name one.
Well, mostly the left-wingers are smart enough to keep it to themselves. I could tell you about my friend Brandon, a gay democrat who freaked out about my transition, told me how very wrong it was to feel this way, or my friend Frank, a bisexual very left-leaning liberal who wouldn't talk to me for a few months after I transitioned, or the dozens of anecdotes of gay men completely insulting me, deliberately misgendering me, and giving me hateful stares. Or about how I've been harassed more often in "liberal" towns like Arcata, CA than in "conservative" ones like San Angelo, Texas. But they're definitely out there, and occasionally they let their transphobia slip out for everyone to see:

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A candidate for the chairmanship of North Carolina Democratic Party is under fire today after insulting a fellow candidate who is transgender at a candidate forum in Gastonia on Tuesday.
N.C. Dems chair candidate under fire for transgender insult | QNotes
I arrived at the meeting early and was asked to help set up chairs for the meeting, I did this without hesitation. I then received my name tag and was checked off on the role when I checked in at the table near the entrance. After a great meeting, I was approached by a person who identified herself as Concetta Caliendo 1st VP/President-Elect of the North Carolina Democratic Woman's Association; she then informed me they had a problem with my membership. I asked what it was and she stated that I could not belong to the Woman's association and that it would be better suited for me to be in the men's auxiliary [associates].
I was insulted to greatest extent. I informed her that her request was not an option and that it was inappropriate. She then informed me that the North Carolina State Democratic Woman's Association would have to vote on me to allow me to REMAIN a member. I feel that this is not acceptable and is in contrary to the policies concerning inclusion and equality under the gender identity clause of the Democratic National Committee and the Democratic Party's guidelines for inclusion and nondiscrimination.

Read more at LGB Transphobia Rearing Its Ugly Head? | The Bilerico Project
Even Stephen Colbert has been criticized for unapologetically making transphobic remarks.

http://yourmomentofhate.tumblr.com/

But possibly the single most despised anti-transgender liberal among my peers is Cathy Brennan.

Cathy Brennan - RationalWiki

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Sep 2011
aMEEErica
I don't know, somehow I'm willing to give the Girl Scouts the benefit of the doubt...

Not very "new age" of me I admit.

Thx :)

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
The Donor had no right, after the fact,, to add a caveat. They could have kept it and ignored the request.