Girls who play soccer run a dangerously high brain damage risk

Dec 2014
The Milky Way
Are they even allowed to say this in our wacky culture?

A new study from The Albert Einstein College of Medicine found that women’s brains are five times more vulnerable than men’s to injury from heading soccer balls.

Researchers performed MRI scans on 98 amateur soccer players, 49 men and 49 women, with an average of 25 years old. They measured for fractional anisotropy, which determines the movement of water molecules in one’s brain. A higher FA means better cognitive function. The study found that women showed lower FA levels across eight brain regions, compared to three in men.

“Women exhibit about five times as much microstructural abnormality as men when they have similar amounts of heading exposure,” Michael L. Lipton, professor of radiology at Albert Einstein College, wrote in a press release. “Our study provides preliminary support that women are more sensitive to these types of head impacts at the level of brain tissue microstructure.”

https://nypost.com/2018/08/01/girls-run-a-dangerous-risk-of-soccer-related-brain-injuries/

Jan 2014
California

A new study from The Albert Einstein College of Medicine found that women’s brains are five times more vulnerable than men’s to injury from heading soccer balls.

Researchers performed MRI scans on 98 amateur soccer players, 49 men and 49 women, with an average of 25 years old. They measured for fractional anisotropy, which determines the movement of water molecules in one’s brain. A higher FA means better cognitive function. The study found that women showed lower FA levels across eight brain regions, compared to three in men.

“Women exhibit about five times as much microstructural abnormality as men when they have similar amounts of heading exposure,” Michael L. Lipton, professor of radiology at Albert Einstein College, wrote in a press release. “Our study provides preliminary support that women are more sensitive to these types of head impacts at the level of brain tissue microstructure.”

https://nypost.com/2018/08/01/girls-run-a-dangerous-risk-of-soccer-related-brain-injuries/
Mr. Excalibur,

Not only that. My wife destroyed her knee playing soccer. I went into the pre-op room to be with her as she prepared for her surgery, there were at least 6 teenage women there for the same operation.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I remember one of my first kind of culture shocks here in Canada.

When I came to my first gym class in high school here, and we were playing soccer... and girls were playing, along with boys. This was insane, to me lol

In Russia, you go by any school, you will see boys playing soccer, and girls watching and cheering, but never themselves playing the game

It is considered too rough, too harsh a sport for the feminine bodies...

Girls play volleyball instead, and it is the boys who watch them then

;)

Same with hockey. It's kinda why Russian women's soccer and hockey teams suck, because only now are any sort of programs for girls starting to be developed over there...

Jul 2013
U.S.A.
I know, right? Women playing sports... Pffft... Clearly that's both dangerous and unnatural. We need to put an end to such wackiness, amirite?

Women don't need PE, they need Home-Ec. Women need to master "The Three Cs." Cleaning, cooking, and canning...

That should be more than enough to insure a happy home.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio

It's hard to know if this is a valid study. Self-published by a hospital, not peer-reviewed by a respected medical journal?

Etc.

But yes, obviously, if females have different brain risks, it's still okay to say that.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I know, right? Women playing sports... Pffft... Clearly that's both dangerous and unnatural. We need to put an end to such wackiness, amirite?

Women don't need PE, they need Home-Ec. Women need to master "The Three Cs." Cleaning, cooking, and canning...

That should be more than enough to insure a happy home.
And that was the OTHER culture clash.

In Russian schools, boys study things like carpentry

while girls learn how to cook

and sew

lol

And then, I arrived to Canada... and they stick ME into a cooking class! Me, who never even been in a kitchen before, except to raid a fridge!!!

Thank God there was this really nice Korean girl in my class, not sure if she had a crush on me or something, but she always kept helping me with all the messes I made in there. Thanks to her, I actually passed that shit! :D Still can't believe it...

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas

We should end ALL sports and competition and do exactly what the government tells us, right?

Apr 2014
Maryland
Sure we are. Boys and girls who participate in contact sports are at significant risk for brain damage. That goes for football players and boxers as well.
My granddaughter plays lacrosse and it really bothers me that the girls don’t have to wear helmets while the boys do