GM CEO Barra

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
And, of course, it's all the fault of labor unions. If American laborers would just step up to the plate and agree to work for a dollar a day, then everything would be peachy keen again.
Union labor could demand more when it was difficult to assemble vehicles outside of the country and ship them here.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk Pro

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
And, of course, it's all the fault of labor unions. If American laborers would just step up to the plate and agree to work for a dollar a day, then everything would be peachy keen again.
Plus, that would eliminate any immigration problems, a win-win for the fringe right and their Oligarch owners...

Nov 2013
NY
I didn’t say that it was great. I said that I understood it and didn’t blame the CEO. Your post indicates that you need to work on your reading comprehension.

You understand it, you don’t blame him, so for you, it’s all dandy.

You don’t care how HE and his company got bailed out with your and his workers money... you just say ‚the stockholder rules, that s all the CEO is responsible for, he does not have to care for employees, and those who bailed him out.

You‘re one great Trumpster, that’s for sure.

Jun 2014
United States
Union labor could demand more when it was difficult to assemble vehicles outside of the country and ship them here.

Yep. And the manufacturers made record profits while paying their employees good wages. This in spite of the fact that they had far more employees back then, because there was less automation.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
I graduated high school in 1992 and I clearly remember the guidance counsellor saying that there will be no manufacturing jobs in Canada, a d we’d be fools to expect one.

“If you want a job to raise a family you better learn how to build a computer, use a computer, or clean a computer”

That was 26 years ago.

Nov 2014
North Carolina
I do not blame the CEO of GM for making the decision(s) to move the assembly of certain vehicles outside of the USA. Labor is far less expensive in China and Mexico than it ever will be in the USA. The CEO of GM has a responsibility to the shareholders not the employees. The problem is that our laws and trade policies make production outside of this country far more attractive that dealing with the UAW right here at home.

GM, Ford they are just making the decisions to make the most profit for their companies. What I take issue with, is that we allow it. If a company were to move their assembly outside of the US, then tariffs need to be imposed upon the vehicles of that company for a period of time. This would make it less attractive to make these decisions. Honda, Kia, Hyundai, VW, BMW, and Mercedes all assemble vehicles here in the USA.
And that's the crux of the problem.

It's very difficult for companies to compete with companies who manufacture abroad due to the cheaper labor costs. That's why you can't really fault them for simply doing what they need to do to survive.

That's also why we need a tariff/tax on all goods manufactured abroad by American Companies. Then it wouldn't matter and companies could manufacture here at home and still compete. Something Trump said he was going to do during the campaign (a 35% tax). He reiterated his support for that the first day after his inauguration as well. He told the business leaders point blank to their faces he was going to do it (I saw it myself). Which gave me hope.

But here it is....2 years later, and I still don't see that 35% tax on American companies that manufacture overseas.

Nov 2014
North Carolina
I graduated high school in 1992 and I clearly remember the guidance counsellor saying that there will be no manufacturing jobs in Canada, a d we’d be fools to expect one.

“If you want a job to raise a family you better learn how to build a computer, use a computer, or clean a computer”

That was 26 years ago.
They build computers overseas as well (actually they especially build computers overseas).

So learning how to build a computer isn't a solution to this.

Jan 2007

That was 26 years ago.
Now we will just bring in Indians to do computer duties .