'God Bless America' song banned

Jan 2016
Colorado
"some taxes !!"?

The subject, or "actual topic" as some people like to say, is the residents of Puerto Rico, not Washington D.C.

Do Puerto Ricans pay federal taxes?

The way I hear it, permanent residents of Puerto Rico do not pay federal income taxes on income earned in Puerto Rico.

Wish I had it so good...
You know, The Wall Street Journal once ran an editorial in the mid-2000's in which they, like you, were complaining about people who were so poor that they did not have to pay income taxes. In a phrase that has now become infamous, they called them "lucky duckies".

Many people wrote in to the editors of the WSJ after that editorial and pointed out that very few billionaires would likely be willing to swap places with any of those 'lucky duckies'.

And I doubt you would, either.

And, boy oh boy, those 'lucky duckies' in Puerto Rico were really 'sitting ducks' for Hurricanes Irma and Maria, weren't they?

See what I did there?

Jul 2014
midwest
You know, The Wall Street Journal once ran an editorial in the mid-2000's in which they, like you, were complaining about people who were so poor that they did not have to pay income taxes. In a phrase that has now become infamous, they called them "lucky duckies".

Many people wrote in to the editors of the WSJ after that editorial and pointed out that very few billionaires would likely be willing to swap places with any of those 'lucky duckies'.

And I doubt you would, either.

And, boy oh boy, those 'lucky duckies' in Puerto Rico were really 'sitting ducks' for Hurricanes Irma and Maria, weren't they?

See what I did there?
Yeah, I do, and you coulda and shoulda have done better...

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Breaking News!: Fake outrage reactionaries say a song has been "banned" when it hasn't. Two teams have merely said they won't play the song in question when it's sung by a certain performer.

May 2013
N Oregon Coast
No, they don't get to vote until they pay FEDERAL INCOME TAXES.

That would be representation without taxation.

Not gonna happen.
Must we tell you again that they pay some taxes? As US citizens who do pay those taxes, do you deem them unworthy of representation or disaster assistance??

I must tell you Miller, that not only is Puerto Rico beautiful, I have it from a Trump voting friend that their PEOPLE are beautiful as well.

He spent two weeks there not long after the hurricane looking for real estate deals. He's been all over the world and told me it is the friendliest country he's ever visited.

Even the people he spoke with who were devastated would ask him if he was hungry and if they were able, invited him into their homes for a meal.

I've added PR to my bucket list.

Jul 2014
midwest
Must we tell you again that they pay some taxes? As US citizens who do pay those taxes, do you deem them unworthy of representation or disaster assistance??

I must tell you Miller, that not only is Puerto Rico beautiful, I have it from a Trump voting friend that their PEOPLE are beautiful as well.

He spent two weeks there not long after the hurricane looking for real estate deals. He's been all over the world and told me it is the friendliest country he's ever visited.

Even the people he spoke with who were devastated would ask him if he was hungry and if they were able, invited him into their homes for a meal.

"some taxes" huh?

Must we tell you again that they pay no federal income taxes?

Not like we do.

With a few exceptions, they pay ZERO FEDERAL INCOME TAXES.

Equal benefits for those who pay equally.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Nope.

Don't want to live in Puerto Rico, either.

Not that there's anything wrong with that!
You're contradicting yourself. This was you, a day earlier:

Do Puerto Ricans pay federal taxes?

The way I hear it, permanent residents of Puerto Rico do not pay federal income taxes on income earned in Puerto Rico.

Wish I had it so good...

Jan 2016
Colorado

Maybe Puerto Rico should become the 51st state, so that the people there would pay federal income taxes?

Do you suppose that would make Miller47 happy?

Probably not. That would mean two more Democratic Senators. Oops.

Jul 2013
On a happy trail
Maybe Puerto Rico should become the 51st state, so that the people there would pay federal income taxes?

Do you suppose that would make Miller47 happy?

Probably not. That would mean two more Democratic Senators. Oops.
Republicans in congress in 2014 turned down Puerto Rico's request for statehood, probably for this very reason and the fact they have a higher population than half the states. Well they didn't really turn it down, they just ignored it.