God Prefers

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
God judges the heart. Man judges by outward appearance. God's mercy is greater than man's judgement. This life means nothing unless it's in Jesus. Yes, a person can be a real dick, mean and nasty and God will forgive them. They're not going to enjoy their life, but they can be forgiven. Forgiveness of others that have hurt us is one of the hardest things to do.
Wow. To read something so "spiritual," I would expect you to be a hot-chocolate-drinking snowflake.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
It also never made sense to me that an all powerful, all knowing God is "a jealous god". Granted, that's probably from the time that people believed that they worshiped "their" god, who was one of many gods, but still. Seems like a character flaw in God that is supposed to keep people fearful that God will react angrily.

It strikes me as a teacher punishing his students for getting a failing grade, and not just failing to give them a reward for a good grade, but giving a painful, physical punishment for not understanding. Also, the teacher never actively teaches the course, just leaves it up to the students to figure out the material based on things written by past students, then shows up on the last day and decides who will be punished for eternity.
It stems from mankind anthropomorphizing a power so great that it created the entire Universe; a universe of at least one hundred billion galaxies, each galaxy with about 100 billion stars. or 10 Billion Trillion (1e+22 )....these are estimates based upon observable objects. The Universe can be much bigger. If a grain of sand equals one star, then it would take a ball of sand about 45 miles in diameter to equal all of the stars in the Universe.

That little math exercise was just to give a sense of scale on a power capable of creating the entire Universe. To be so egocentric as to believe we have more than an inkling of understanding of such a power would require an outrageously massive ego rivaling the sick mind of PABOTUS and we'd still be wrong.

That said, it doesn't seem logical for such an all powerful being to indulge in petty retribution.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
That's because the God you believe in is cruel and hates his children for failing to see him... You would think an all powerful being wouldn't need to punish his own creations for failing to tell him how wonderful he is and how thankful they are for his saving grace.

It's a trait we wouldn't accept from any person, and yet I can see evidence of that trait in the most supposedly devout Christians. Hating the blind.
Those Christians who back Trump accept all of that, Stan!;(

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
Hateful Christian is an oxymoron. No one can be hateful and still live by the philosophy of Christ. There are lots of pdeudo Christians around, though, who spout hate for anyone who is different from themselves, be it gays or non Christians.

If being in a Christian church makes one a Christian, then being in a garage must make one a car.

• Haha
Reactions: MaryAnne

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
It also never made sense to me that an all powerful, all knowing G-d is "a jealous god".
True. One must consider that such characterizations, however, are only part of a mode of human understanding. G-d, being a complete unity, does not have human characteristics per se, and has neither wants nor needs. In other words, this language is to help us understand G-d to a certain, limited degree; it does not actually characterize G-d as such.
It strikes me as a teacher punishing his students for getting a failing grade, and not just failing to give them a reward for a good grade, but giving a painful, physical punishment for not understanding.
And without end, too - particularly considering we are (in this analogy) talking about a teacher who is perfect in all ways.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
The Tanakh says no such thing. Whether the "New Testament" says this or not seems to be a matter of contention amongst Xians.
The Bible doesn't clearly spell it out, but here's the problem: IF God is all knowing and all powerful, then God knew Lucifer would rebel on him before creating Lucifer. Therefore God intentionally created Satan, the personification of Evil. The Book of Job specifically tells the tale of God and Satan playing with a man's life.

Just so we're clear; I see all religious texts as mankind's perception of God, not an accurate and thorough description of God. IMO, religious texts are little pieces of God in much the same way that the story of the 5 blind men and the Elephant saw pieces of the Elephant.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
The main thing about Christianity is that people long for an after life. No one has proven one.

But I just hope it makes me a better person while I am here. No harm done.

Reactions: Dittohead not!
Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Hateful Christian is an oxymoron. No one can be hateful and still live by the philosophy of Christ. There are lots of pdeudo Christians around, though, who spout hate for anyone who is different from themselves, be it gays or non Christians.

If being in a Christian church makes one a Christian, then being in a garage must make one a car.
But it makes you a better car:)