God Prefers

Sep 2016
My own world
Sorry, but that's a non sequitur; how can a person both believe in an afterlife and fear death? It has to be one or the other. Only one can be true.
I actually don't fear it. I can say that with total certainty. I have been at the door and said Oh Well. It's been good, it's been nice, I'm leaving this life.I actually fear this life more. I don't want to end up unable to care for myself. I have said the day somebody has to feed me, wipe my butt and I can't control my own coming and going I want out. I don't want to be hooked up to machines either, unplug the damn thing and see yah.

Jan 2007
Irrelevant
Awesome. So why have any laws at all? Just run wild, have fun and wait for ascendance.
I'm talking about a theological idea, not a political one. We already know why we have laws. They are not based on theology.

Nov 2008
Washington state
Translation: Screw anyone who isn't white or American.

LOL. How many "Christians" from your church are willing to help kids trying to escape starvation and gang violence from their home countries and are now on our border? 10? 5? 1? NONE?

View attachment 31000
Why do you feel it’s America’s business to take care of people that aren’t citizens ? If you personally feel compelled then be a missionary ( yes people I know from church) that helps foreigners of all ages. It’s illegal to take a non citizen in your home, that’s why no Christians are doing it, they obey the law. Helping undocumented immigrants now a crime under Trump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 2007
Irrelevant
The Tanakh says no such thing. Whether the "New Testament" says this or not seems to be a matter of contention amongst Xians.

In Talmudic Literature
For the rabbis of the talmudic period the existence of evil in a world created by a merciful and loving God posed a number of theological problems, which they attempted to solve in a variety of ways. Although these solutions do not add up to a coherent theodicy, some of the more representative discussions indicate the general lines of rabbinic thought on the matter. First there is the issue of the existence of evil itself. The rabbis insisted that as good derives from God so, ultimately, does evil. This insistence was intended to discount any implications of duality, the idea of a separate deity from whom evil springs being complete anathema to the rabbis, who even say, "Man should bless God for the evil which occurs in the same way that he blesses Him for the good" (Ber. 33b). The same antidualistic motif is contained in the verse, "I am the Lord, there is none else; I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil" (Isa. 45:6–7). (In the liturgy this is changed to "makes peace and creates all that exists," implying that evil itself is perhaps not a positive phenomenon at all, but mainly the absence of good.)

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
I'm talking about a theological idea, not a political one. We already know why we have laws. They are not based on theology.
We all die some day. Why not just follow the philosophy of "live a fast life, die young and be a beautiful corpse " since we're all going to Heaven and just expedite the process? What would be the point in hanging around while our bodies rot with age?

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
Why do you feel it’s America’s business to take care of people that aren’t citizens ? If you personally feel compelled then be a missionary ( yes people I know from church) that helps foreigners of all ages. It’s illegal to take a non citizen in your home, that’s why no Christians are doing it, they obey the law. Helping undocumented immigrants now a crime under Trump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't. I was speaking of Christians. Obviously there are none, only people who pay lip-service to Christianity before crapping all over their fellow human beings. Sad.

Reactions: KnotaFrayed
Jun 2013
Here
I actually don't fear it. I can say that with total certainty. I have been at the door and said Oh Well. It's been good, it's been nice, I'm leaving this life.I actually fear this life more. I don't want to end up unable to care for myself. I have said the day somebody has to feed me, wipe my butt and I can't control my own coming and going I want out. I don't want to be hooked up to machines either, unplug the damn thing and see yah.
The difference between being alive or worse, kept alive, with no "life" to speak of and being alive and being able to live a life.

The irony seems to be that so many who believe in God suggest that death comes at "God's choosing" of the time and place, yet there remains the question of whether human measures to keep some people alive, when God would have otherwise "taken them" without the human intervention is God's doing or not.

Generally, does God control everything in every human's life and if so, why not control their behavior? This seems to be a perpetual question, that never seems to be clearly defined and if one believes the characteristic of "free will" in humans, distinguishing where humans may exploit other people's faith in god(s) for their personal human profit, be it monetarily or politically, becomes difficult. There is the "power of the pulpit" both religiously and politically and where people's "faith" is involved, especially where it includes a superior being, the "faithful" do not want to anger or upset (in anticipation of their "judgment day") and this presents a huge potential for manipulative powers by those who claim a "higher" association with god(s), when their only real interest and motivation is in power and/or profit over/from others.

Human ego, like so many other things, varies from individual to individual. Mentally, one can imagine most, if not all humans need a certain level of self confidence in order to function in life and interact socially. At the same time, there are those whose life situations or their mental composition may make them feel that lack any power to do much of anything, much less have some level of control over their own lives and lacking this, the seek ways to empower themselves, in their minds or materially in some way. I believe some may gravitate to the "power" they observe others having, when it comes to religion and threats of hellfire and brimstone and they want a piece of that manipulative power for themselves and go after it. They take on roles of being "close" to god(s) and knowing more about what the "god(s)" want or intend and they gain their own "following" of people that may actually be more faithful to them, than to a figure like Christ or any "god(s)".

Last edited:
Reactions: Eve1