GoFundMe is a health care lifeline

RNG

Jan 2015
Left coast
Don't need no stinkin' single payer or ACA type of program. We got free enterprise.

Oh ...

Wait ...

Roughly a third of the $5 billion in cash GoFundMe has helped people raise since it started in 2010 has gone toward medical bills and expenses — the most of any category on the crowdfunding site.

What they're saying: "The [health care] system is terrible," GoFundMe CEO Rob Solomon told Kaiser Health News. "We shouldn't be the solution to a complex set of systemic problems."
A third of GoFundMe donations are for health care

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Yup. The ACA didnt help all that much with super high deductibles and not all covered expenses. One of my coworkers was diagnosed with leukemia three years ago and went into over 100K in debt due to her having to go out of network into Boston for treatment. Her son started a GoFundMe page and it helped her family a lot. Especially since she became too sick to work while having treatment. Its time for a change.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
Yup. The ACA didnt help all that much with super high deductibles and not all covered expenses. One of my coworkers was diagnosed with leukemia three years ago and went into over 100K in debt due to her having to go out of network into Boston for treatment. Her son started a GoFundMe page and it helped her family a lot. Especially since she became too sick to work while having treatment. Its time for a change.
Welcome to the new middle class. I would bet some us GoFundMe to help pay for the obscene premiums along with the deductibles. You can tell this is desperation...most middle class people are too proud to ask for help like this. They are used to helping others without complaint. When it reaches home...it has to feel bad. At least they have this option instead of making a decision between hospice or lifelong debt.

RNG

Jan 2015
Left coast
We already have an "ACA type of program". We have the ACA itself which was supposed to fix this kind of thing. So why would we listen to people who pushed that in the first place?
Because Trump and the GOP took a hatchet to it. And it was at best a poor compromise in the first place.

Better than nothing but not as good as some form of single payer.

Just how much profit are the HMO healthcare pimps and hospitals to be allowed?

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
Because Trump and the GOP took a hatchet to it. And it was at best a poor compromise in the first place.

Better than nothing but not as good as some form of single payer.

Just how much profit are the HMO healthcare pimps and hospitals to be allowed?
Hospitals do not really show profit...they are mostly for-profit or a combination. The ones who manage to show profit are required to invest the profits back into the hospital. The insurance companies are a different matter. The ACA was not doing so well before Trump lifted the mandates. A lot of the middle class was priced out of the exchanges and could not afford the policies and pay for their care out of pocket because of inflated deductibles. The ACA is only affordable if you qualify for the subsidies. The premiums actually jump from about 300.00 a month to 1000.00 a month if a person does not qualify. This has been explained on this board 1000 times and no one seems to get it or care about it. The ACA was only designed to help low wage earners and the rest of the earners were expected to shut up and pay for it. This was voiced as a concern by the middle class and were ignored. This is one of the reason we are now suffering under Trump. Think about it this way, if you were an American and working your ass off everyday paying taxes and you lost your insurance, how would you feel if you were looking at premiums at 1000.00 or more a month with a deductible of 5K or higher. This means, your insurance doesn't pay until you paid 5K out of pocket first. Many don't meet their deductible and have to pay 1000k a month plus pay for all health care during the year because you haven't met the deductible. I would be one of those people and that is completely unacceptable compared to the amount of taxes I pay and nothing to show for it.

The premium cost and deductibles were a complete surprise to me and to most. I supported the ACA 100% until the year it launched and I ran my age, chronic condition (diabetes) and income through a premium calculator. I almost fell out of my chair. It was a slap in the face as a tax payer. All of this was going on before Trump. This is the only system in the world that punishes people who have a condition through their wallets. To double down, the government penalizes Americans who cannot afford their premiums. Great Country, huh? Be grateful you are Canadian.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
A lot of the middle class was priced out of the exchanges and could not afford the policies and pay for their care out of pocket because of inflated deductibles.
The deductibles are not "inflated," they are what they are to make the premiums lower. As consumers we have to decide if we want to pay for everything in the form of premiums or if we want a combination. Forcing all the costs through premiums (no cost-sharing) is essentially a punishment of low utilizers. Some degree of cost-sharing helps not only in the fairness category, it promotes some degree of cost control.
The ACA is only affordable if you qualify for the subsidies. The premiums actually jump from about 300.00 a month to 1000.00 a month if a person does not qualify.
This is a function of two super-basic policy failures within the ACA, which are the subsidy cliff and the family glitch.

This House bill would fix Obamacare
The ACA was only designed to help low wage earners and the rest of the earners were expected to shut up and pay for it.
9.5% of income is not necessarily some oppressive atrocity.
Think about it this way, if you were an American and working your ass off everyday paying taxes and you lost your insurance, how would you feel if you were looking at premiums at 1000.00 or more a month with a deductible of 5K or higher.
Even with the subsidy cliff problem (which needs to be fixed), the only way in your example this person would face $1,000 premiums would be if they earned >400% of the poverty level. So how would they have "lost" their insurance if they're still earning >400% FPL?
This means, your insurance doesn't pay until you paid 5K out of pocket first. Many don't meet their deductible and have to pay 1000k a month plus pay for all health care during the year because you haven't met the deductible.
Would it be better if they paid $1,416 per month but had a $0.00 deductible?
The premium cost and deductibles were a complete surprise to me and to most. I supported the ACA 100% until the year it launched and I ran my age, chronic condition (diabetes) and income through a premium calculator. I almost fell out of my chair.
Why was diabetes able to factor into the premium?

Mar 2010
Indiana
Hospitals do not really show profit...they are mostly for-profit or a combination. The ones who manage to show profit are required to invest the profits back into the hospital. The insurance companies are a different matter. The ACA was not doing so well before Trump lifted the mandates. A lot of the middle class was priced out of the exchanges and could not afford the policies and pay for their care out of pocket because of inflated deductibles. The ACA is only affordable if you qualify for the subsidies. The premiums actually jump from about 300.00 a month to 1000.00 a month if a person does not qualify. This has been explained on this board 1000 times and no one seems to get it or care about it. The ACA was only designed to help low wage earners and the rest of the earners were expected to shut up and pay for it. This was voiced as a concern by the middle class and were ignored. This is one of the reason we are now suffering under Trump. Think about it this way, if you were an American and working your ass off everyday paying taxes and you lost your insurance, how would you feel if you were looking at premiums at 1000.00 or more a month with a deductible of 5K or higher. This means, your insurance doesn't pay until you paid 5K out of pocket first. Many don't meet their deductible and have to pay 1000k a month plus pay for all health care during the year because you haven't met the deductible. I would be one of those people and that is completely unacceptable compared to the amount of taxes I pay and nothing to show for it.

The premium cost and deductibles were a complete surprise to me and to most. I supported the ACA 100% until the year it launched and I ran my age, chronic condition (diabetes) and income through a premium calculator. I almost fell out of my chair. It was a slap in the face as a tax payer. All of this was going on before Trump. This is the only system in the world that punishes people who have a condition through their wallets. To double down, the government penalizes Americans who cannot afford their premiums. Great Country, huh? Be grateful you are Canadian.
Good points. Ah but even at those so called "non profit hospitals, administrators and doctors are making obscene wages. I know an ER doctor that has five collector cars a million plus house and pool and all the toys man would ever want. I'm all for compensating a special skill and years of educations, but he's an Appalachia Kentucky where the average annual wage is probably under $10,000 a year.

Mar 2010
Indiana
Good points. Ah but even at those so called "non profit hospitals, administrators and doctors are making obscene wages. I know an ER doctor that has five collector cars a million plus house and pool and all the toys man would ever want. I'm all for compensating a special skill and years of educations, but he's an Appalachia Kentucky where the average annual wage is probably under $10,000 a year.
No response?