GOP candidates to boycott Univision presidential debate

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Five Republican presidential candidates boycott Univision debate - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com Oct 4, 2011

Five Republican presidential candidates are boycotting a proposed Univision debate because of allegations that the Spanish-language media giant tried to strong-arm Sen. Marco Rubio with a controversial story about a relative. Mitt Romney, Rick Perry, Herman Cain, Jon Huntsman and Michele Bachmann all issued statements Tuesday saying that Univision needs to make amends before they would appear at the debate, tentatively scheduled for two days before Florida's Jan. 31 primary.

The five made their separate announcements throughout the day at the behest of three Florida Hispanic Republican lawmakers who noted that Rubio's office and Univision insiders said the network publicized an embarrassing story about the senator's brother-in-law because Rubio wouldn't sit down for an interview on the show "Al Punto," which has espoused a liberal line on the hot topic of immigration.

Univision has called the allegations "absurd" and said that the July story of the 24-year-old drug bust was reported fairly and accurately.
...snip...

The RNC's tent keeps getting smaller. The only way they can get the 'murcano voting block at this point is with a hailmary pass.. ie have Sen. Rubio as running mate.

Reactions: bonncaruso

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Democrats cancel Fox News debate

Obama to Nix Fox Debate - ABC News

Seems like a non story to me. In fact sounds a lot like my first link.

Democrats boycotted a fox debate. Is thier tent "getting smaller" as well my friend? ;)
Democrats don't need the conservatives that are fans of Fox news. The Republicans have alienated Hispanics who are the fastest growing group in our country and they're voting for Dems. The dumb thing is that Hispanics tend to be socially conservative and would normally be a natural constituency for the GOP but they've pushed them away with their immigration rhetoric. And this isn't going to help. That's why the Republican tent is shrinking. It may not be a problem in the next couple of election cycles but it will catch up with them.

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
Seems wildly stupid to me. They just keep pissing off the Latino community.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Plus... you know one or two of them (safe bet... Bachmann) would've made some effort to thank the crowd in Spanglish and that would've been priceless.

"Grassy-Ass for having me here."

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
Plus... you know one or two of them (safe bet... Bachmann) would've made some effort to thank the crowd in Spanglish and that would've been priceless.

"Grassy-Ass for having me here."

lmao @ Grassy-Ass !!!!

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Democrats boycotted a fox debate. Is thier tent "getting smaller" as well my friend? ;)
well lets see... edumacated guesstimate says those in the teagoper tent consist mainly of: regressive angry whites voting block.

Meanwhile, voting blocks in the DNC tent consist of:
as Babbs explained, most hispani'murcans (except for the old cubamericanos pining for the old days hoping they'll get their land in cuba back and still pissed at Kennedy for not starting a war with the USSR over their island).
Muslimurcans.. yup they gonna vote BHO.
Afromurcans.. 95% in the tank for BHO.
Progressive whities.. yeah.
Jewmurcans.. mostly BHO I would think. especially the younger generation.
and other blocks. only way Obama loses the 2012 election is if they don't show up to vote.

Last edited:
Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
Five Republican presidential candidates boycott Univision debate - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com Oct 4, 2011

Five Republican presidential candidates are boycotting a proposed Univision debate because of allegations that the Spanish-language media giant tried to strong-arm Sen. Marco Rubio with a controversial story about a relative. Mitt Romney, Rick Perry, Herman Cain, Jon Huntsman and Michele Bachmann all issued statements Tuesday saying that Univision needs to make amends before they would appear at the debate, tentatively scheduled for two days before Florida's Jan. 31 primary.

The five made their separate announcements throughout the day at the behest of three Florida Hispanic Republican lawmakers who noted that Rubio's office and Univision insiders said the network publicized an embarrassing story about the senator's brother-in-law because Rubio wouldn't sit down for an interview on the show "Al Punto," which has espoused a liberal line on the hot topic of immigration.

Univision has called the allegations "absurd" and said that the July story of the 24-year-old drug bust was reported fairly and accurately.
...snip...

The RNC's tent keeps getting smaller. The only way they can get the 'murcano voting block at this point is with a hailmary pass.. ie have Sen. Rubio as running mate.
I just fucking LOVE it. The Repubs just keep getting dumber and dumber. The dumbass Repubs don't even have the sense to try and claim the story was inaccurate or false or anything! They are basically saying we don't like WHAT you reported 'cause it might embarrass one of our guys, thew fact that the report is truthful doesn't seem to matter to them. LMFAO!
Half of south Florida is Spanish speaking and they are going to boycott the largest Spanish speaking network. LOVE IT!